Chapter 8: Reality Hits Hard

The first sound I hear is a buzzing in my ears and the rolling of wheels. I can also feel my body being moved around. What's going on? I open my eyes just a smidge when a bright light shines in my eyes.

"Her eyes dilated. She's okay!"

I squint in confusion and move my head up when I hear more voices join in.

"You're going to be okay."

"We'll be here with you."

"Keep it together, [F/N]."

I let out a large sigh and close my eyes again, an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion taking over my mind.

"Please ... don't ... go ..." Hiro's muffled voice says.

That's the last thing I hear before passing out.

~

I run around the SFIT building. It was on fire. I immediately go to the where the doors should be, but found nothing.

I was stuck in a burning box.

Alone.

I fall down to my knees and start to sob. My body shook uncontrollably as I huddled into a ball and let the flames lick my skin.

"[F/N]!" Tadashi's voice yells.

My head immediately perks up and I scream in horror, seeing a terribly burned Tadashi limping over to me. I try to back away from him, but find that quite futile as I had been stuck in a corner. Tadashi just seems to walk through the flames like it's nothing. It scared me. He finally stopped in front of me, only being a few feet away. His glare was piercing.

"Why didn't you come back for me?"

My heart drops to my stomach.

"W-What?"

"It's all your fault!"

I shake my head and cover my ears, not wanting to hear him.

"No, no, no it's not–"

"How could you?" Hiro's voice speaks.

I look up and see my closest friend in his brother's place, looking very disappointed in me.

"He went in there to save you! Why didn't you help him?!"

"N-No, Hiro, I tried–"

"Well, you didn't try hard enough!" He screams, the fire engulfing him completely.

"No! Hiro!"

I stand up shakily and run into the flames, calling out for Hiro and Tadashi desperately as everything turned to white.

~

I wake up with a jolt, tears I hadn't known were there pouring from my eyes. I couldn't move. In fact, I couldn't feel my body. All I could do was stare blankly at the white ceiling.

Was it all just a bad dream?

Am I dead?

I move my fingers first, then my hand, then my entire arm. Life suddenly courses through my veins and I groan. The pain was unbearable, especially in my head. I put my hand to my forehead, feeling bandages wrapped around it securely. I still couldn't speak for a moment's worth. I gasp a little when I hear quiet snoring in the corner of the room. I turn my head to the direction of the sound and find Hiro passed out on a chair. He looked very uncomfortable.

"Hiro ...?" My raspy voice asked, not even making him flinch.

I speak up a little louder, "Hiro!"

He flails about and falls off his chair, shocked to have heard my voice again.

"[F/N]? A-Are you really awake, or is this some illusion from my lack of sleep?"

A twitch of a smile forms on my face and I hold out my arms to him for a hug. "I'm really here."

I see the tears spring to Hiro's brown eyes and he immediately holds me tightly, crying into my shoulder.

"You're really okay!"

I feel myself tear up a little. I hated to see anyone sad, especially if that said-person is my boyfriend. I hug him back just as tight, trying my best to hold back my tears.

"I-I thought I lost you, too ..." He mutters, breaking the hug while keeping his gaze low.

I grow confused.

What is he talking about it?

"'Too'? What do you mean by 'too'? What happened?"

Hiro stares up at me with wide eyes, which tells me everything. I thought back to Tadashi and I gasp, cupping my mouth with my hands.

There's no way.

He can't be gone.

He can't be dead.

Tadashi should've lived.

It's ...

"... It's all my fault. Tadashi ..."

Hiro hugs me once again and let's me cry into his shoulder.

I can't believe it. Tadashi truly is gone.

And it's all my fault.