Chapter 6: Look for a New Angle

Tadashi staples a SFIT—San Fransokyo Institute of Technology—poster on top of Hiro's poster, looking over to him with a smile.

"Every year, the school has a student showcase. You come up with something that blows Callaghan away, you're in, but it's gotta be great!"

Hiro turns his chair around and smirks confidently, eyeing the SFIT poster. "Trust me. It will be."

He cracks his fingers, sharpens his pencils, takes out his empty notepad, bringing pencil to paper and—

~

—Nothing.

Hiro bangs his head against his desk of rolled up paper balls, having come up with zero plans.

"Nothing! No ideas! Useless, empty brain!"

[F/N] draws in her sketchbook, sitting on Hiro's bed in her pjs while Tadashi reads a book on his bed casually.

"Wow. Washed up at 14. So sad."

Hiro lifts his head, having felt defeated and tired. "I've got nothing! I'm done. I'm never getting in ..." He rests his face in his hand, sighing deeply.

[F/N] perks up from his words and huffs, not wanting to see her genius boyfriend stop now. She marches over to his swivel chair, spinning it around to face her as she leaned down inches away from a slightly flustered Hiro's face.

"Hey. I'm not giving up on you, babe," She says teasingly, standing up straight right as Tadashi walked over.

They exchange looks of acknowledgement before nodding, helping lift Hiro from his seat.

"Wait–whoa!" Hiro yelps when Tadashi throws his legs over his shoulder and bounces him around upside down.

"What are you doing?!"

"Shaking things up a little!" Tadashi answers, spinning a dizzy Hiro around. "Use that big brain of yours to find a way out."

"What?" Hiro questions, trying his best to squirm his legs out of Tadashi's grip.

Hiro stares at an upside down [F/N] for help, but she only giggles.

"Come on, Hiro. Look for a new angle," She says encouragingly.

He lets out a short breath of frustration and peers around the room, spotting Mega-bot sitting on his desk. He tilts his head to the side, staring deeply at the bot.

Then, it hit him.

An idea hit him, specifically.

~

Hiro and [F/N] both opened his garage the next morning, exchanging smiles with each other as they went to work. [F/N] helped Hiro craft the designs and give him snacks. The gang of scientists from SFIT would come to visit every once in a while, chatting up a storm with the trio.

Hiro was hard at work, building and constructing hundreds upon hundreds of these microscopic robots—also known as microbots. It took him and the team about a week and a half to finish, but in the end, it was worth it.

A couple blue trash bins were filled to the brim with microbots. Hiro opened the lid of one and peered in with [F/N] and Tadashi, who were very impressed.

All three did a group fist bump, making fake explosion noises.

Now, it was off to the showcase.