FOURTY

CHAPTER FOURTY

     "ELEVEN WAKANDANS WERE AMONG THOSE killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month," the female news anchor reported to her viewers, two of which were Laurel Embers and Steve Rogers

     "ELEVEN WAKANDANS WERE AMONG THOSE killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month," the female news anchor reported to her viewers, two of which were Laurel Embers and Steve Rogers. "The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

Laurel took a seat, bracing herself for some backlash for how mercilessly she fought, how she went over the top and made injuries that would've forced the victims to wish she had killed.

Steve placed a hand on her shoulder, rubbing it tentatively as he continued to watch the news report.

The King of Wakanda showed up, having taken a opportunity to release a statement on the subject. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

Laurel bowed her head, rubbing her temples as she continued to listen to the report with a heavy heart. She truly tries not to go over the top, but there's always an urge eating at her to commit the worse crime imaginable and sometimes, it feels like she can't fight it.

"The Wakandan king went on to-" the screen switched off abruptly and Laurel let got of a shaky breath.

She was glad there wasn't a mention of her, but hearing reports pointing to the Avengers as the bad guys added to her guilt.
Sliding her hands down her face, Laurel covered her mouth as she stared at the blank wall, her mind racing with fear that a report was going to come out about her.

A distant murmur appeared, making Steve and Laurel look up as they recognised another piece of news being played in another part of the facility. Laurel frowned when she realised where it was coming from.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria? Not only Ms Maximoff, but Laurel Embers. How can we feel safe when someone as relentless and cold hearted as Ms Embers is being trusted to join these missions? With fame journalist, Melissa Ryans coming out as the Superhuman, she dedicated her final article to her new teammate, giving Ms Embers the title Canary. With this title and her ability, many are beginning to link her to a criminal that disappeared at the start of 2014-"

Laurel sighed gently as Steve turned the TV off, not baring to listen to anymore of it.

It was only a matter of time before the link between Black Siren and the Canary was noticed, Laurel just didn't expect to hear it. She didn't care anymore, but hearing that people were afraid of her hurt and she was beginning to feel that her place may not be with the Avengers.

"It's my fault..." Wanda moved her hand from her mouth as she continued to stare distantly, replaying the moment over and over in her head.

"That's not true," Steve spoke gently, aware of Wanda's emotional state.