19

19 | another Carrington case

ASHER'S POV

After making sure Evelyn was okay, I had offered her a place to stay when she had found out that her mother had taken a plane back to London seeing as there was an urgent business meeting a few hours before. She had completely been clueless and for the first time, I saw her struggle as she had tried to call her sister but she hadn't picked up before she had begun to stress. When I had offered her the guest room next to Ashlynn's, she had immediately said that she couldn't intrude but I had informed her that she had nowhere else to stay. She had only nodded before Cato and Eli had helped her packed her things up in a suitcase before allowing her to settle in the guest room, Ashlynn and Penelope at her beck and call.

"That was highly unprofessional of you to just leave the meeting like that yesterday," Agent Jacqueline said, her voice firm as she sat across from the three of us, snapping me out of my own thoughts.

"I sincerely apologise," I replied, maintaining eye contact with her as I clenched my fists at my side. "I just needed to make sure Evelyn was okay."

Agent Jacqueline only waved it off before motioning for us to sit on the sofa. We obeyed. "The undercover mission is still ongoing but now, Miss Carrington could possibly be exposed to danger by the people who want her to keep her mouth shut. So now your mission has slightly changed; find out what Evelyn is hiding that's so important, important enough to get her killed. And protect her."

"How are we supposed to protect her and solve Joseph Carrington's case?" I heard Cato ask beside me, a blank expression but I could tell by his clipped tone that he was annoyed.

Agent Jacqueline raised a brow at us as if asking that question was absurd. "Polit, 2015. You handled three cases at once but this one will be a little different because feelings are involved." She made eye contact with me when she said the last few words, causing me to be uncomfortable.

"I, for one, think it's great," I heard Eli speak up beside me with a bored expression. "Neither of us gets to actually have a love life because of our work and I think it's great and about time that Asher finally had a crush on someone. The last time he had a crush on was probably when he was thirteen."

I elbowed him, causing him to chuckle and wince simultaneously.

Agent Jacqueline didn't react to what Eli had said but I knew deep down I was grateful for him. He had a voice to express his opinion but I wasn't surprised because when he had proposed to Penelope and Agent Jacqueline found out, he only damned her to hell.

"Asher, you were a man of no strings attached," my boss pointed out, making my frustrations grow as I exhaled a silent breath. "Evelyn Carrington is now your client and you know the client-employee relationship. It's out of bounds. Should I remove you off the case and allow another agent to handle it or will you be able to control yourself and get rid of these feelings?"

"I'm fine," I whispered almost immediately, the thought of not being near Evelyn pained me and that was when I realised that I was whipped for her. I would get on my knees and die for her and I knew it was extreme but when I go in, I was going to go all-in; no matter the consequences. "I can do it." A lie I had to tell.

Agent Jacqueline only nodded. "Alright. Here are the files on Miss Carrington. She must not know about her protection or else she'd run."

I raised a brow, suddenly something Jacqueline had said that piqued my interest. "Why?"

Jacqueline shrugged. "Her mother would not disclose any information when she confirmed our request for her protection. Anyways, off you go before you're gone way too long and she begins to suspect something's off. Let's hope she gets off your tails before she discovers your secret."