18

18 | background check

Jason was one of mother's private investigators who had previously worked for my father but when he had found out that his wife was cheating on him with my father, he immediately took my mother's side and decided to work solely for her. He was a smart private investigator with numerous connections that made him so popular that he had become one of the highest-paid private investigators in the country.

Years ago, Jason had asked me for a favour and it was to help him grab evidence on his wife to prove to the court that she was an unfit mother so he could gain custody for his children. Let me tell you; I did what I had to do and he had won the custody battle. He had yet to pay me back since I hadn't needed anything from him; until now.

Last night when Asher had returned, he had seemed slightly distant and off but I maintained my facade and continued on with the night, making conversation with people who I had known as a child. Asher had then driven me home and bid me goodnight with a kiss on the neck, watching me leave before he entered his own house. I had informed him that I wasn't going to be around in the morning seeing as I had a meeting with one of my boss's employees but of course, I had lied.

As I patiently waited for Jason to make an entrance, I made sure the booth I had was far from the windows so that if any paparazzi were to walk by, I wouldn't get noticed at all. The diner was oddly quiet today but I wasn't surprised seeing as most people would still be in their offices or away on vacation since it was the holidays.

"Miss Evelyn," a familiar voice that made a smile grace my lips as I glanced up at Jason, a middle-aged man with raven black hair and blue eyes greet me with the same smile. I greeted him with a hug before he took the seat opposite of me, placing his briefcase on the table before crossing his hands together on the table. "What a delight to see you. It's been a few years, right?"

I nodded. "It has. I'm so sorry for messaging you out of the blue and during the holidays too but it's quite urgent."

"It's the paranoia, isn't it?"

I bit my lip and nodded.

"My therapist told me that paranoia can sometimes be the heightened senses of awareness," Jason replied with a chuckle before sighing. "Now, I followed up with a few information that you had given me last night but I need a name on that woman."

"Did you find anything on Asher or his friends?"

Jason shook his head as he took out three files from his briefcase and placed it on the table. I opened the files and realised that there were no pictures of the men or information except the basic eyes, height, weight and age. "It's like their background or history has been wiped from the system."

"This is useless to me," I said, sighing out in frustration. "What about the woman?"

Jason shrugged. "I tried my best, Miss Evelyn. The woman you described to me made my mission even more difficult because there are a lot of women with brown hair and status like you described. I need something specific so I can exactly pinpoint her."

I bit my lip, chewing on it in frustration as I let out an exasperated sigh. "They used Killey Industries, says that they're businessmen but I know for a fact that their boss is a woman and not a man."

"They could use that as an excuse but it won't help me with my investigation."

I sighed, shaking my head in disappointment.

"I'm sorry, Miss Evelyn," Jason apologised sincerely as he looked at the time on his watch.

I only nodded, thanking him anyways and that if I needed anything else, I'd contact him. I watched him leave and he seemed to be in a hurry, eyebrows narrowed as he hastily typed something on his phone before putting it against his ear. Something gnawed in my stomach, telling me that Jason wasn't telling me the truth.