Chapter 29

"This is how Yenzo asked me not to dress," I said while adjusting my tie in front of the mirror. I had to dress the part since Landmark had set the day aside to honour me. I'd seen signs of preparations the day before when one classroom got decorated for the get-together.

With a dark sunshade to match, I stepped out of Madiba's compound looking dapper. My three piece suit sat well on my shoulders, ready to ward off the brewing storm threatening to ruin my day.

As I paced measuredly towards the school, my heeled brogues gave me prominence. With each stride, I appreciated the gleam from the pair. And the sunshade glasses effectively hid my gazes. Not even Madam Lookey could stop the swagger.

My hands kept swinging back and forth like twin pendulum. Joy filled me bringing to mind that I'd done the best I could, and the school authorities had appreciated my effort. The icing on the cake would be when my appraisal report would be handed to me. I couldn't wait to have it.

My mind roved to the office in Johannesburg and began to visualize myself as an Academic Advisor in Dekkers Consultancy. The position of a deputy manager would be sweet and highly rewarding. In two months or so, I would achieve it.

Then, I would wear suits to the office every day. Nothing would stop me from buying fifteen of them. Dining with Dr Luba, our CEO, would happen often and my name would be on the lips of the directors. From there, the sky would be my limits.

A hunch pushed me to look behind. Madiba's wife and Funeka stared in admiration at the young man that just left the compound. Before they could duck, I'd caught them drooling already. I smiled.

Much as I'd love to invite the woman to the occasion, language barrier would not let me. Four weeks definitely wasn't enough to learn Xhosa. And I didn't sign up for sign language lessons.

Obviously, the woman wished that I took one of her daughters for a wife. But no way, Yenzo ruled my heart. Every other lady that came my way in Glenmore was PE acquaintance.

On getting to the school, the students wore happy faces right from the security post. Many of them raised their thumbs in salutation. Some came closer to shake hands with me.

"Mr Jack, I want to be like you." Pupils from the lower grades would say.

"Read your books every day and work harder. You'll be like me someday."

There in the distance, Mrs Avo walked around urging the students to move to the assembly ground. The moment she saw me, she stood panting like a puff-adder. I waved at her in greeting, but she frowned and turned away. "You don't have to hate me so much; I will soon be gone."

Many of the students gathered in groups discussing the man-mountain who had been in their midst for four weeks. And even those I didn't teach wished I'd graced their classes.

"Will you come to class today?" a student asked.

"Not today, my friend. Not anymore; we're done."

Having delivered all the topics and stuff, the only task left was to discuss with Vivian on where and how she would continue with them.

"Jack-Jack." Andrew greeted in the staffroom. Others soon joined in hailing me. I went around shaking hands with them. Leaving Landmark should be on a friendly note. We could meet again in future.

"People. I want to thank you all for making my stay a successful one. I have enjoyed every bit of the time spent here. For those whose toes I might have stepped on, please pardon me. I hope you will overlook my mistakes. Once again, thank you so much. I wish you all the best."