Chapter 22

My stay in Glenmore got more interesting in the third week. As expected, the students' improved performances didn't escape the school management's attention. The vice-principal made sure my groceries came in regular supplies, and she called me this Tuesday morning to her office.

"We have included perfumes and shaving powder in your list. Keep the good work up, Jack."

"Thank you, ma'am." I was wary about the choice of a shaving powder, wondering if it hinted that I should shave more frequently. I hadn't been applying blades on my chin regularly, though. On the whole, I took it to mean that my hard work got appreciated.

Mr Roddak, on his part, smiled at me when walking close by or even across the pavements.

"The principal is waving at you." Students nearby would alert me if I didn't see him coming. It always pleased me to know that he had me in his good books.

At the staffroom, we interacted cordially too, at least on the surface. Surprisingly, Mrs Avo didn't make a big deal of the weekend encounter between us. I guessed it was because she found herself at the receiving end.

The damaged door handle got fixed promptly, and I didn't tell Vivian about my weekend visit to the school. She would have questioned me about coming to school on a Saturday when she'd long invited me to her residence without luck. Maybe it was time to honour her invite, anyway.

"I will be at your place coming Friday."

"Ah, at last," she said, narrowing her eyes and smiling as she turned towards me. She looked relieved, having reminded me on several occasions.

I'd planned to branch to her flat after leaving the restaurant on Friday. Hopefully, we'll have issues to discuss. "I hope you'll drop me close to Madiba's comp—?"

"Sure. That's not a problem. It's not far at all. I'll bring you back home."

Apart from Yenzo, I didn't miss Jo'burg because things looked good in Glenmore. I sometimes called home to speak to my mom and ask after my sisters.

Wondering about other Dekkers' staff experiences, I put a call through to Pumlani to ask how he fared on the other side.

"Hey, buddy. You've been quiet for a while. Are you good?"

"Yes, man. It's been fairly smooth over here. I'm sorry I didn't call back the last time. I'm busy day and night," he said, sounding busy in a class.

"Really—"

My loud voice attracted those in the staffroom. The interns turned towards my desk, eager to know who I was speaking with. Before now, I used to wait 'til after school before making phone calls. Doing it on a Tuesday morning got them prying.

Vivian, however, didn't bat an eyelid. She knew I had a stable relationship and didn't consider the call out of order. Besides, I'd agreed to visit her at home, so that felt okay.

I scanned the staff room and waved apologetically thinking that I might have disturbed them. After excusing myself, I stepped out into the corridor.

"Sorry for the break. I had to step out of the staff room," I said to Pumlani.

I was curious to know what kept him busy at night. Since both of us resided in PE, I'd imagined that our situations should be similar.

But he seemed to be in a much better space. His school, a girls-only, was located in a modern township, and the accommodation provided was a three-bedroom bungalow building.

"You are lucky, man. I'm staying in a mud house, with my roof made from leaves and fronds. It's always cold at night, and I'm always alone. But the place is secure and the school staff can be nice."