Chapter 20

With two weeks gone, I decided to dish out another rounds of assessments to my students. I was convinced that measuring their progress would give me an idea how well they performed.

I'd started preparing the test questions this Saturday morning when I recalled having left some textbooks behind on my desk in school. No thanks to my habit of walking empty-handed while returning home each day.

I put on my jeans trousers to go and pick them up. Then, I quickly changed my mind "I don't have to put on jeans to pick up a book."

It wasn't cold and windy like it used to be. So, I pulled off the jeans and left the hut in a polo t-shirt, knee-length shorts and sandals.

Halfway there, the roar of spectators at the soccer field caught my attention. No one told me there would be a soccer match. I would have gone there to watch. I quickly took a turn there.

The crowded field and the variety of cars indicated that it was a big soccer day. It turned out that the match was over and the local team won.

Sipho shook hands with his folks to congratulate them when I approached the guys to keep me updated on their match schedules. Soccer was a passion and it was the only outdoor entertainment around me in Glenmore.

"Hey, teacher Jack!" he called and walked towards me. A few of the boys followed him.

"So you guys play big matches here and I wasn't informed?"

"We don't want to distract your programme. You're here to teach our children and not to catch fun."

I had a good laugh and the lads did too.

He explained that I'd missed an interesting match between two big football clubs. It was a derby, and it held once in a year.

In the distance, the VIPs were returning to their vehicles. Many walked with their partners, and a few walked alone. Their choices of attires reminded me of Johannesburg, and I liked the sight of the fashion styles on display. I was yet reminded of the beautiful world out there. Staying in Glenmore felt like being in a desert.

"So, when is the next match?"

"Our next match with this club will come up next year. But we have some matches soon. We'll post the schedule in the village square."

Having just returned from their regular fitness workouts, the assistant coaches came around and reminded me of the last time I trained with them when I got my leg injured. "How did you manage the injury the last time?"

"It lasted three days."

I overstated it as an excuse not to join them in future. It was of no use training with soccer players when all I did was write on a chalkboard.

"Sometimes, muscle injuries take long to heal for those who don't train regularly. But, you're lucky it healed on its own."

"Oh no! I got lucky. One of the girls in my compound came around to treat it."

"Uh?" His posture changed immediately and his jaw slacked. My statement sounded like a taboo to the lads, prompting them to stare into each other's faces.

"A girl treated you in Madiba's compound?" Sipho asked, with his face creased up.

Seeing how agitated their boss had become, three of his boys came forward and looked at me suspiciously.

"Coachie, are you okay?"

"Teacher said a girl in Madiba's compound attended to his wound."

The three boys opened their mouths at once. Their expressions got more dramatic than the coach's.