Chapter 21

As I trekked to the school to fetch my book in the staffroom, the lady in the clayey hut was in her usual elements. Madam Lookey stared at me for yet unknown reasons. "Why is this woman always ogling at me?"

Had she been a young lady, once might have said she was enthralled. But a grey-haired mama likely to be nursing her fourth grandchild shouldn't be leering at a young man. I ignored her and headed for the school gate.

"Hello, Mister Jack," one of my students greeted. Her eyes fell on my knickers.

"How are you, Aphiwe? What brought you to school today?"

"We have to prepare for your test. You're the only teacher who gives us exams without giving us a date."

Correctly, I came to school to add more questions to the ones I'd prepared at home. They should continue guessing when the next test would roll out.

We walked into the school premises side by side. As usual, students sat in the classrooms reading and playing around. Seeing Aphiwe beside me on a Saturday got tongues wagging. That I was in shorts heightened their curiosity. Some peeped at us and others whistled aloud. I parted with the girl as I made for the staff room.

For once, it felt different walking into a quiet and drama-free staff room. The place was suitable for studying; so I thought of going through the books right there instead of taking them home. After all, I only wanted to copy out a few questions.

For ventilation, I opened the windows and put the fan on. I then switched the television on and increased the volume to drown the sounds from the animals loitering around.

With each question written on the sheet, I raised my head to catch a view of the programme on TV, and that got me entertained while I worked.

With the benefit of hindsight, the decision to sit and work at school proved to be a mistake. The events that followed were totally unexpected.

A car suddenly zoomed into the parking lot in front of the staffroom. I moved over to the window to see which of my colleagues came around on a weekend. The vehicle looked unfamiliar.

Soon, a monstrously large woman stepped out of the car, dressed in a flowing Ankara gown with a matching circular head-gear. On a second look, it turned out to be Mrs Avo.

Her presence on the premises got me curious. Judging by her dress, it crossed my mind that she'd been one of the guests at the football field. Then I recalled that she wasn't sports loving. Her presence at such events might even discourage future footballers.

Still by the window, I watched as she opened the car door, rushed out of the driver's seat, and hastened towards the staffroom. Her head-gear dropped to the ground, but she didn't pick it up.

She was close to the staffroom door when it occurred to her that she left the keys. She ran back to the car, picked up her head-gear and hung it over her shoulder.

With mouth open, I watched as Mrs Avo made a fool of herself. Students equally expressed shock at the middle-aged woman's restlessness. Some laughed and made jests of her purposeless runs.

Despite her controversial personality, it hurt me to see her mocked in that manner, so I stepped out of the hall to give her a helping hand.

"Good morning, Madam. Is everything all right?"

My voice got her startled as she paused and lifted her head up, revealing her mascara-laden twitchy eyes. The look on her face told a lot about her unstable state of mind. I even read her thoughts: "Is this not the guy who'd been reported to be sleeping with a girl in the staff room? How come he is so confident?"