Chapter 2

Dressed in a white T-shirt and denim trousers, Yenzo and I left my apartment for the Park Station in Johannesburg. It was the morning of January 18, 2015, and I had my eyes set on the long Port-Elizabeth journey. The ticket stated that it would be a ten-hour trip, but I knew it would be longer. Although winter was about four months away, Johannesburg was at its cold best.

"Dear Mamajack, I'm on my way to PE. 4 Weeks off. See you soon."

I sent a text to my mom to alert her of my departure. Mike, my best friend, also received a similar text. The dude would be wondering how I managed to plan for the trip without bringing him into the loop.

A private taxi earlier arranged glided to a halt in front of us and soon ferried us out of my Rosebank base. As we drove out of the neighbourhood, I glanced behind one more time. Travelling out of the city wasn't frequent; so leaving Jo'burg felt special.

The vegetation around the Park Station made it chillier. But the crowd that thronged around provided warmth. Without being prompted, Yenzo rushed to the counter to check my name on the manifest.

"I've confirmed over the phone already," I said.

"Is there any harm in double checking here again?"

The seriousness she accorded the trip made one think she was the one travelling. She ought to be at work this morning, but she would rather be with her man.

Having earlier complained of flu, she was pushing herself too hard. Cold weather always gave her problems. So, I thought of setting her free to prevent her from breaking down.

"I hope you won't be late for work. You've done well to have come here with me."

"Okay, then. Let me leave since you'll be off in twenty minutes. But please, don't fall for those Xhosa and Coloured girls." She cautioned, yet again.

I let out a sigh and held her shoulders.

"C-o-m-m-o-n, Yenzo. I thought we are over this issue."

"I know, but—"

"Do you think I'll like to be distracted from an official assignment? This is an opportunity to show my bosses how resourceful I am. Wipe out those funny thoughts from your mind. Why would I want to play around with some village girls when I have you?"

She shrugged. "Well, dunno. You might not be the one wooing. A hanstadar like you won't be hard to find."

"What's that? What's a hanstadar?"

"Don't worry. Have a safe trip. Let me know when you get there and please call five times a day."

"Okay, dear. It's hard to leave you here. Left to me, I will stay put. Or do I put you in my bag?"

She straightened her face, visibly not in the mood for my jokes.

"Please, Jack. You are all I have. Don't disappoint me." Tears rolled down her cheeks as she adjusted the hood of her cardigan.

Those words echoed in my ears. Yenzo hadn't looked so helpless before. Thinking she must be speaking from the depth of her heart, I felt like renewing my promise.

"I won't mess around, babe. You are all I have too."

"So you say. I accept."

I hugged her for a while; then I stepped back and looked into her eyes. Feelings of love overwhelmed me as I blinked several times, suppressing the tears.

Eager to catch a glimpse of my woman for the last time, my dreamy eyes surveyed her top down. She'd been true to me since the day we met. I had no doubt in my mind that I might lose her before my return.