Chapter 23

I stormed out of the hut Wednesday morning eager to see the stunt the students had in stock. A new topic was on the cards, and each time I introduced a new concept, they always came up with some interesting ideas.

Also, that I once missed taking them to the playground didn't go down well. Maths had become their favourite subject. The teacher had no business staying away from the class.

On the playground, I tried to prepare their minds for what should be an interesting day. But the regular morning exercise didn't thrill my students like before. Much as I gingered them up, they didn't warm up to the routines. Jogging and aerobics seemed tedious, and the expressions on their faces said it all.

A not-for-profit organization showed up in the school to distribute face caps for tuberculosis awareness. While three face caps were reserved for me, the students rushed to grab one for themselves.

I thought the free gifts would shake off their grumpiness, but the girls still wore long faces after the organization's workers had left. The boys were, however, lively as ever. They felt blessed to have a face cap to shield them from the harsh daytime sun.

Back in the class, I thought the girls would brighten up for lessons. But, no, they scowled at me suspiciously as if an issue weighed heavily on their minds.

"Hello, class."

"Hello, Mr Jack," they chorused in a drab tone that I'd not heard from them before.

"Let's forget about the disappointments of the past days. It's a new day today, and we can always make it a better one." My optimism didn't stir them much as I tried harder.

"Do you know that you can score an 'A' in Maths in your final exams? There is nothing stopping you from doing so. You have to believe in yourselves more. For those who think it's late already, you must have a rethink. You still have about seven months before your Matric exams, and that is enough time to prepare. Step up your efforts." As I tried to ginger them up, the girls stared out of the windows. My sermons no longer appealed.

Well, everyone had their off-days. I had to cover the scope of work for the day. As the lessons began, they confirmed my worries.

"You will learn something new, today. We shall discuss Analytical Geometry."

Maria rushed to her feet. "We are studying Anal-what?"

"Analytical Geometry, Maria."

"Okay, sir. We shall see."

She sat hastily, stood up again and then slumped to her seat. An unusual stunt from a usually quiet girl, I overlooked it since most of the other students didn't pay her attention.

I explored the topic in-depth and compared it with the regular geometry. I took my time to draw images on the chalkboard giving examples. Being one of my favourite topics way back in school, the topic of discourse excited me and it showed in the manner I taught them.

During question time, I drew an image on the chalkboard. "Which of you will attempt to solve this?"

As if on cue, not a few of the girls opened their legs like they once did. Sights of panties of different colours dazed me. "Oh! Not again."

I quickly turned my back to them and traced the image on the chalkboard again; just to be sure nothing similar to a shoe was up there. Up until that moment, the word 'shoe' hadn't been mentioned. Why should they widen their legs like that? These girls had better behave themselves like the responsible adults they want me to take them for.

Putting on a brave face, I pretended as if nothing weird had happened. I threw the question up again:

"Can someone help with the Maths question on the chalkboard? Maths only, please. No displays."