Chapter Seventeen

So, we are having this little shin dig at the paper I write for, I was wondering if you’d like to come with me?”

Maxey was holding her hand as they strolled back to his car.

“Sure, when is it?” Zea asked as she stepped back while he opened the car door.

“In two weeks. It’s a going away party.” He explained and closed her door and hurried over to his side.

“Oh really for who?” she asked curiously as he slid into his side.

“Me.” He said quietly.

“You? Are you quitting?” she reached for his hand. Maxey turned on his car and smiled as he squeezed hers. Suddenly Zea felt uneasy, what if this was his way of letting her down easy, but how could he they just had an amazing lunch! She really needed to get a hold of her thoughts and let him explain.

“Z, I got the job…” he smiled widely. Zea sat back to remember what job he’d been vying for and remembered he wanted to write for Sports Illustrated.

“Do you mean ‘The Job job?’ “ she cracked a huge smile. Maxey looked at her and nodded.

“Maxey! How could you hold that in this whole time? I’m so happy for you!!!!” she reached over and pulled him into a hug.

“I know, it was so hard for me to keep it in, but I wanted to enjoy my time with you first!” he breathed into her hair. Zea pulled back.

“Well how? How did it happen? Tell me all the deets!” she gushed. She sat back and listened as Maxey explained how he decided to write a person of interest piece on the young kid from Idaho and he submitted it.

“They loved it and asked me to call them. I intereviewed over the phone and they offered me a free lance writing spot for college hopefuls! It’s once a month. I’ll travel and interview the up and coming athletes!” he said it so happy that his blue eyes lit up even more.

“Wow Maxey, I’m so so excited for you! I’m sure your family is too!” Zea squeezed his hand again.

“I haven’t told them yet.” He confessed.

“What? Why not?”

“I want to surprise them too. We have a Wednesday dinners with family and that’s normally when we all get together to talk about our week. “ He juggled her fingers through his.

“I was wondering if you’d like to come with me when I tell them the news?” he looked up through his long eye lashes.

“Oh….” Zea was a bit startled. “You want me to meet your family?”

“Ya, why not?” Maxey asked curiously, his blue eyes still dancing.

Zea sat back. That was really big in her head. She’d only know Maxey for maybe two months. This was moving by super fast. However, at the same time, she felt so comfortable with him, like she’d know him her whole life.

“Uh…sure…” she finally agreed.

“Great!” he smiled and sat back in his seat.

“You will love them Z, and they will definitely love you!” he said happily as they backed out of the parking lot and into traffic.

Zea smiled at him nervously, trying not to make it seem like she was super freaked out.

Maxey drove Zea back to the Y, mostly in silence. Only because Zea just really didn’t know how to react to his request, but she didn’t want to hurt his feelings either.

What was wrong with her? Here is this super great guy and she’s backing away from him? Were things moving to fast, or was she just making it seem that way.

Maxey pulled up next to her car.

“Your chariot my lady…” he said in some kind of accent. Zea smiled. He got out and came around to her door and opened it up. Zea stood up and stared straight up into his big blue eyes.

“I had a great day Maxey. Thanks for sharing your great news!” She leaned in and kissed him lightly on the lips. Maxey smiled.

“Thanks for being there to listen.” He smiled back at her. Zea couldn’t help herself, she just had to be so candid.

“Do you really think I should be meeting your family right now?” She looked up at him again, hoping she wasn’t going to make him upset.

“Zea, it’s just dinner, it’s not a proposal!” he teased.

“Quit being so high strung. Just go with it for once!” he put his hands on each of her shoulders. He gave her a little shake. Zea felt a sense of calm and she trusted what he said.

“I’m sorry Maxey, this just seems like a dream, like this is to good to be true, and I’m sorry that I’m being so candid, it’s just…” she looked away.

“Zea, you are a great girl! I enjoy being with you, and I hope you enjoy being with me. So what you are coming over to dinner with me. You really will love my mom’s cooking and they will treat you like you are one of their own. Just step out and believe there are good people out there…” he squeezed her shoulders.

She looked back up at him and teared up a bit. She really didn’t want this to end. Maxey really was Mr. Right for her. She reached up and hugged him around his neck.

“Max Foster…I don’t know what to make of you, but I do know that I’m so glad I got into that limo the night of Kiki’s wedding…” she said dreamily as she reached up to give him a kiss. Maxey smiled and leaned down and hugged her tightly.

“Me too Zea, me too.”