Chapter Three

Zea sat down defeated, her night had gone from bad to worse. Here they were two scowly faced people sitting alone at the only other singles table at the party. The other table sat Arthur and his band of misfits, who happen to be real good friends of Tony.

Even Stella was paired up with Alex at another table. She scowled even more. She drummed her fingers on the table and observed the crowd around her. Foster was too busy looking at the band with a grumpy look, that she didn't eve want to say one word to him. He was too arrogant and pompous for her taste.

She sat there wondering if anyone else was coming to their table or not! This is when she realized other than Foster at the table their were names for Kiki's two teenage cousins! The nerve of her best friend! She was seriously considering the end of her friendship with Kiki! Zea was fuming inside.

"Uh...it's not the table cloth's fault..." Foster teased. A wide grin played across his lips. Startled by his voice, Zea jumped a bit out of her seat and glared at him.

"What are you talking about?" she growled at him. Foster nodded towards her hand on the table. Apparently her fingers decided to crumple up most of the table cloth underneath them and was now dragging the art deco piece and all of the glasses and silverware her way. She was so hot inside she hadn't even realized she was deflecting her anger on the silky table cloth. She quickly released her fingers from their vice grip. Foster continued with his wolfy smile.

"Are you always this friendly.." he decided to keep jabbing at her. Zea rolled her eyes. "I mean I'd hate to see you in a really bad mood!" he laughed quietly again. Zea's blood pressure felt like it was rising, she was not going to take this bozo's jokes much longer. Hell he didn't even know her! Why was she being so defensive? She suddenly thought to herself. She needed a good come back.

Zea smiled sexily and leaned towards Foster. He leaned away from her. "Only with people I really can't stand Maxey!" she said flirtatiously as she batted her eyes.

Foster's eyes lit up. He liked this girl, she was a little spit fire and didn't back down from a challenge. He liked the way she called him Maxey. Nobody ever called him by his first name, it had a nice ring to it, maybe only because it was coming from her delicate mouth. He gazed at her lips and licked his own. Then smiled his tight lip smile again.

Zea, satisfied with her come back, thought for sure she had pushed away this obnoxious, self-centered guy, once and for all. To her surprise he leaned his arm on the table and moved in towards her. This time Zea pulled back with a look of uncertainty.

"Don't play well in the sandbox with others I see..." he whispered sexily. Zea's stomach did a flip. His voice once again rang in her head. He wasn't backing down. Zea hissed and clicked her tongue to her teeth and hunched back in her seat. That's when she noticed the ear piece in Foster's ear. No wonder he was grumpy! He must have been listening to a game that he really wanted to be at instead of at this party. She decided to call him out on it.

"What is that in your ear?" she pointed towards the ear piece. Foster's smile disappeared. He sat more straight on his chair. "You know, that's pretty rude! " Zea accused.

"Woa, Woa, Woa..." he raised his hands then settled them back down on the table. "First...you get drama queen of the year...." he considered her for a moment, her eyes were fuming.

"Second....I don't think your friend really cares if I was partaking in her wedding at all..." he pointed towards the dance floor. Zea followed his finger and saw the crowd of people laughing and shouting at the happy couple in the middle of the dance  floor dancing to MC Hammer's "Hammer Time". A smiled teased at Zea's lips, then when she looked at Foster again, she frowned.