Chapter Twelve

Foster had gone out of his way and did some investigating. Thanks to Alex and Stella he was able to find out Zea's favorite restaraunt. He wanted to make her feel special and give her a great night.

Their conversation was fun and flirty on the way to the restauraunt. That tension from when they first met was no longer an issue. Zea was relaxed and happy to be with Foster.

He drove a black, two door Honda Prelude. It had leather seats and was a stick shift. She thought it had lots of character. She couldn't decide if he like the car for the speed or the look. Either one was very superficial to her. The inside was a little torn up on the dash but his brown leather seats were still pretty well kept up.

Foster caughter her observing the inside of the car

"Total Chick Magnet!" he joked as he shifted into fourth gear. Zea thought that was sexy.

"Really? I was thinking more of a high school boy's dream." Zea teased right back. She had come to realize Maxey just liked pushing her buttons. She wasn't going to react to his smart ass remarks. Maxey laughed out loud.

"Couldn't help but notice you were checking out my car.." he explained as he shifted one more time to sped down the highway. Zea raised her eyebrow up at him and teased him back.

"Just making sure there wasn't anything in here to give me a disease.."

"Ouch!" he laughed again.

"Has this been your car since high school?" Zea asked.

"No, just since I started college. It was my older brother's he passed it down to me. It's been the only car I've owned." he explained as he exited the freeway. Zea felt guilty for thinking he was shallow. He was very down to earth.

"So you and the car have grown up together then?" Zea asked trying to be playful, but then wanting to hit herself for saying something so stupid! Maxey smiled at her.

"I guess you could say that. If it wasn't for my brother though I wouldn't have the car."

"Your brother get a better car?"

"No, he enlisted.." Maxey trailed off as he slowed down behind traffic. "He was killed in Afghanistan after two years. I just couldn't get rid of the car. I can't see myself ever giving it up." he explained as he looked over at her.

Zea's heart dropped to pit of her stomach. Now she really felt awful!

"I'm so sorry Maxey..." she touched the top of his hand. His blue eyes sparkled.

"Don't be Zea. I just wanted you to know how I got the car. My brother liked fast cars, I wanted a truck." he smiled sadly.

"I didn't mean to.." she tried again.

"It's fine really, talking about it soothes my soul." he assured as he pulled into a parking spot. Zea was so busy looking at him and feeling guilty that she hadn't noticed that he pulled up right infront of her favorite italian restaraunt. "Well..." Maxey said as he looked forward.

"Well what?" Zea asked.

"We're here.." Maxey smiled back at her and looked again towards the restaraunt. Zea looked up. This time her face lit up.

"Mangianos?" she was honestly suprised. "How did you know? I love this place!" she smiled brightly.

Maxey smiled sheepishly. "A little bird told me.." he explained.

"Stella!" Zea whispered harshly between teeth. Maxey laughed again.

"Ready to go in?" he asked happily.