Chapter Fifteen

The Big F….” Zea wrinkled her nose as she read the name on the Y roster that she was filling in for. She snorted a laugh.

“Who would call themselves The Big F?” she asked the director as she signed in. “This person must think a lot of themselves!” she continued her sarcasm as she smiled  at Frank.

He considered her for a moment then smiled.

“It’s what the kids call him.” He explained as they walked down the hall.

“Why would he let them call him that, it’s sounds a bit self absorbed if you ask me.”  She couldn’t help but keep adding her two cents in. Frank continued to smile.

“Guess you’ll have to take that up with the kids then…” he teased as he pushed open the door to the big gym where all the children were playing. Two little girls that were jump roping dropped their ropes and ran over to Zea and hugged her.

“Z!!!” they yelled in unison. “You’re here!!!” they clung on to her tightly. Zea smiled sheepishly at Frank as he gave her the ‘I told you so look’. He walked away shaking his head.

“It’s not what you think!” Zea called after him.

“At least it’s not ‘The Big Z!” she shouted as he waved at her before closing the door. Zea turned her attention to the girls.

“Hi my lovely ladies!” she said warmly as she hugged them back.

“We missed you Z!” the girl with the bright red hair smiled up at her.

“Ya!” the little brunette with pony tails agreed.

“Well I’ve missed both of you so much too! I’m so sorry that it’s been awhile for me to come by. I’ve had a lot of school stuff going on.” She explained as the girls pulled away and grabbed her by the hands and they walked towards the center of the gym.

Zea smiled. Looking around she could see a group of boys playing basketball, some other little girls playing duck duck goose. She loved it. She knew being a pediatric doctor was the right thing for her. She loved kids so much. Volunteering at the Y only confirmed it for her.

They had finally reached the jump rope spot and the girls coaxed Zea into jumping with them for a little bit. She stopped after about ten minutes, her stamina was not what it once was. The girls  didn’t want her to stop but she insisted on sitting down.

“Go on girls, keep playing. I need to take a break…” she sat down on one of the benches against the wall. She pulled out her cell phone and quickly read a text from Maxey.

Can’t wait to see you! Text me the address I can pick you up at.

What about my car?  She texted back.

I’ll bring you back to it. Don’t worry. I’m not a serial killer.  He teased. Zea smiled. She quickly texted the Y’s address and waited for a response.  One of the little girls that was jump roping with her was now sitting next to her looking over her arm.

“Who’s Maxey?” she questioned. Zea looked over at the little girl. It was Zoe. One of her very favorites. She is such a character and spitfire, kind of like herself. Zoe came from an abusive background.

 Her parents constantly were in physical altercations and Zoe and her two older brothers were caught in the cross fire. They were with foster parents now. Zea was relieved to hear it, but her heart broke anytime she would see Zoe cry.

Zoe always came to her for hugs and assurance that everything would be okay. Zea knew it must be awful being taken away from your parents, even if they weren’t fit for parenting. She could almost relate to Zoe, just because of the life she lived with her mother, one guy after the other.  Zea smiled and nudged Zoe.