Part 5

Daichi arrived to practice the next day as the last of the team because he had to speak to his teacher as he had left class a little earlier the day before.

That was also the reason for going straight to his coach and the sensei when he entered the gym.

The other team members were already getting everything ready for practice and Daichi could see Hinata and Kageyama arguing over something and having a conversation that surely no one except these two could understand.

Suga was talking to Asahi and Noya as they were getting the net ready. Tanaka was getting the ball waggon and Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were taking care of the other side of the net.
Daichi approached the adults and came to a stop in front of them apologizing for interrupting their conversation. When they told him it's fine he started talking about why he came to them in the first place.

"I'm sorry I couldn't attend the training yesterday, Coach", Daichi apologized to Ukai "but my little sister was sick and someone had to take care of her. As my parents were both working I had to go".

"Family always comes first, Sawamura", Ukai smiled at him "one day won't ruin your training schedule. I hope your sister feels better now".

"She does", Daichi nodded "thank you".

"I hope that Sugawara feels better as well", Ukai thought out loud "he was kind of off yesterday, don't you think, Takeda?"

"Yeah, he looked like he was somewhere else with his thoughts", Takeda agreed "maybe he was just stressed because exams are close by. I hope he feels better today".

Daichi left them with a confused look on his face. Was Suga okay? Was he sick as well? Was something bothering him? Daichi felt bad because he wasn't there when Suga had needed him. But he had to take care of his sister yesterday. He couldn't be there for him then but he could make sure he was okay now. So he walked over to where Suga was standing with Asahi and Noya.

"Hey Suga", Daichi spoke up and the slightly smaller boy looked over to him smiling but Daichi saw that it wasn't his usual smile.

He knew Suga's face by heart and he knew that this smile didn't reach his eyes meaning it didn't come from his heart. Something was wrong with Suga and Daichi was so not okay with it.

"Hey", Suga greeted him.

"Can we talk for a second?", Daichi asked and Suga nodded at him following him outside as the training wouldn't begin for another two minutes.

"What's up?", Suga asked still smiling at him half heartedly.

"Suga, are you okay?", Daichi asked concerned laying a hand on his shoulder "our coach said you were off yesterday and that smile on your face might trick the others but I have known you long enough to know that it isn't your real smile".

"I will be okay, Daichi", Suga said his smile fading into just the hint of one but that hint was at least real "please don't worry about it".

"Are you sure?", Daichi asked "you know you can talk to me about anything".

"Thank you I appreciate it", Suga nodded "but I think I have to settle things with myself first".

"Okay", Daichi said not quite understanding what he meant but he would never push Suga. He would talk to him if he wanted to.

They both got to practice then but Suga didn't leave Daichi's mind that day and neither did he the following days. To see him in obvious pain was hurting Daichi as well. He never wanted to see his best friend like this.

He missed his smile and his laughter. It felt like the whole team was affected by it. Because Suga was the one that always cheered them up. He was always there, had an open ear and open arms. You just couldn't be sad when you looked at him.

Daichi thought about how beautiful Suga looked when he was smiling. And he was creeping out. Not the thought itself scared him but that he was totally cool with it. He had never before thought his best friend like that but it didn't scare him in any way.

The opposite was the case. It made him feel warm and brought a smile to his face. When he remembered that Suga was with Asahi he kinda felt bad. He liked Asahi, he really did, but he felt jealous because obviously Suga had opened up about his problems to him instead of Daichi.

He saw them hug more frequently these days and the smiles that were directed at Asahi were all honest ones. Jealousy is a bad feeling. Daichi hated it but he couldn't really control it. It was like someone was squeezing his stomach. He wanted to throw up.

He was sure that the bad feeling would go away if Suga was with him. Just as Suga always made anything better he would also make this feeling go away for sure. Because he was just the best.

Daichi tossed and turned in his bed but he could not find any sleep. His mind ran miles thinking about Suga and mostly thinking about Daichi's felings towards his best friend. Maybe they would both feel better if they were in each others arms. They could both stop worrying. If Suga felt the same that Daichi felt that is.

But what did Daichi feel? He just knew that Suga was beautiful, that he made him feel warm and happy and that he didn't like it when Suga was close to someone else. Daichi wasn't a huge fan of romantic comedy movies but he had seen enough of them and he was smart enough to identify that feeling that he obviously held for Suga. And again he was surprised that he wasn't scared at all because of it. No, quite contrary to it he was happy. Happy that he was in love with his best friend.