Chapter 27

Scott took a deep breath as he walked into the Newman house. Bud was sanding a door, talking to Scott about it when Silvia came running out to hug him.
     "Scott! How are you?"
     "I'm doing just fine, Silvia."
     "And how's your daughter? She seemed a little sad last time we saw her."
     "She's recovering. She just misses her husband. And she is pregnant."
     "Ooh! I can't wait to see that baby!"
     "Actually, babies. She's having twins!"
     "Aww! How sweet!"
     "What kinda man leaves his wife to go on a business trip when she's pregnant with twins?" Bud said, sounding angry.
     "Well, to be fair, he didn't want to." Scott covered quickly. Bud shrugged, still looking annoyed. "By the way, this is my associate, Sandy." Sandman shook each of their hands in turn. "So have you finished packing yet?"
     "Almost." Silvia said.
     "Just throw my underwear in a bag. It's not like we're going to the North Pole!" Bud told his wife.
     Scott laughed. "I don't know, hun. Remember when we went to Yosemite?"
     "Oh here we go again with the Yosemite story!"
     "It was freezing and there were bears!"
     "How do you know? You never left the tent!"
     "Yes because it was freezing!"
     "And there were bears?"
     "Yes and it was freezing!"
     "Let me get this straight: you did not enjoy the trip to Yosemite?"
     Sandman blew some dust at the pair, making them fall asleep. "What part of our plan wasn't clear? Dust them after we get them in the car."
     "I'm sorry! I just couldn't stand to hear the Yosemite story anymore!"
    With that, Sandman walked over to a chair, sat down, and fell asleep. "Sandy? Sandy! Oh great! Now I get to throw his underwear in a bag!"
                             * * * * *
    Jack hadn't seen Rose for the rest of the day. She had seemingly vanished after he made the mistake of calling her Snowflake. To occupy himself, he started following around Carol who was trying to pick out a Christmas tree.
    "Hey, Mrs. Claus!"
    "Oh hey, Jack."
    "Whatcha doing?"
    "Oh just trying to pick out a tree."
    "Fun. Have you seen Rose?"
    Carol shook her head. "No. Not in a little while. Why?"
    "Well she left pretty quickly and I just want to make sure she's alright."
    Carol smiled. "That's sweet, Jack. But I'm sure she's fine. Rose is a tough young woman. Always has been to be honest."
    "Does she hate me?"
    Carol looked up and frowned. "What makes you think that?"
    "I was talking to her then she ran off."
    "Oh I heard. You called her Snowflake, didn't you?"
    "Well yea...it's an endearment."
    "Rose only likes for Bernard to call her that. And she's worried about him so she's not exactly herself. Trust me. I know from experience that when she's stressed about the people closest to her, she tends to get mad at the first person she sees. It's nothing personal."
     "Experience huh?"
     "Well, she and I weren't always close. I used to think she hated me."
     Jack looked shocked. "You? But you're best friends ontop of being family!"
     "We weren't always. Before I married Scott, before I even met him actually, I used to be the principal for Charlie's school. And I was not the easiest person to get along with." She said, laughing. Jack laughed with her. "Especially when it came to Charlie. Well, while Scott was busy fulfilling his role as Santa, which I didn't know at the time, Rose was taking care of Charlie.
    "We crossed paths and let's just say that she and I didn't exactly see eye to eye." She continued walking, checking the trees as she told him the story. "Anyways, eventually things changed between us and we became great friends. From what I've heard, she used to not be so close to her stepfather either. It just takes time, Jack. If you show her that you mean her no harm, treat her with kindness, and give her some time, eventually she'll warm up to you."
    "Is that how it was with her husband?" Jack asked, gritting his teeth at the word husband.
     "Well I wasn't exactly there at the time but, from what I heard, they took some time too. I don't think she ever disliked him like she did with me or Neil, but they had their own problems. And I know he managed to make her angry more than once. Always happens with those we're closest to."
     She shrugged. "I only hope I can make her see that I care for her."
     Carol smiled. "I'm sure you will. And you'll become great friends too. Lord knows she needs as many of those as she can get right now while she's going through all this."
     Jack frowned angrily. "Right. Friends."
     In his mind, though, he saw things happening differently. He'd win her over. He'd become the new Santa Claus and she would be his wife. All he had to do was win her over and trick Scott. The former would be harder apparently.
    He knew he shouldn't worry about it. There were plenty of beautiful women out there. But this one...well she was special. Gorgeous, smart, sassy, stubborn...and he wanted her, no matter what it took.
    "Do you ever think she regrets it?"
    "What?" Carol asked.
    "Y'know...leaving her home and family, movie up her to help her father and...husband."
     "Oh no! Not at all! Rose loves everything about this place! She loves her home, her job, her husband, her family! Why, she wouldn't trade it for anything!"
     Ah! So he could still keep her here! "What about you? Do you ever wonder if it's all worth it?"
     "Not at all. It's definitely worth it."
     He glanced over to where Carol was. "Y'know...that tree over there could use a little loving."
     Carol smiled. "I think it's perfect." She said. At that moment, Rose appeared. "Oh Rose. How are you feeling?"
     "I'm fine. Dr. Histmus just wants me to take it easy. And, Jack, if you don't mind making me that special herbal tea. He says two a day should help."
     Jack smiled. "Well whatever the doc said."
     "Thanks."
     Rose turned away and Jack frowned. Was she still angry at him?
     "Ooh! They're back!" Carol said suddenly.
     "Let's go!"
     With that, Carol and Rose ran to see the family. As soon as they landed, Laura, Neil, and Lucy ran to hug Carol.
     "You feeling any better, sweetie?" Laura asked.
     "Much." Rose said. "Just needed some rest is all."
     "How were my parents?" Carol asked.
     "Y'know they slept the whole time." Neil said.
     "Oh. Before you go, you do know that my parents can't know we're at the North Pole, right?"
     "Well where do they think we are?"
                              * * * * *
     "Welcome to Canada. Heh?"