Chapter 34

Rose went through her usual encore of songs, some Christmas songs, some not. All the while, she thought about what her father had said. Was it possible that this world was really a lie? And maybe, just maybe that was why she kept feeling out of place?
    She thought about what he had said about Bernard. She had only visited him in the elfirmary once. It was after the accident and she wanted to know if he was ok. He had just laid in that bed, looking like he could've been sleeping. Yet, he never woke up.
    She hadn't gone back since. That was around the time that Jack had decided to change everything so she had been busy helping to keep everything in order as a temporary head elf until Curtis got promoted. She would've gone back to check on Bernard but Jack had started placing guards around the elfirmary so no one could get in, least of all her.
    After thinking back and forth on the pros and cons of doing this, she finally settled on giving it a shot. She finished her song and walked off the stage.
     Rose rushed into her changing room and locked the door. Quickly, she changed into a different outfit, a simple sweater, leggings, and boots. She pinned her hair up and snuck out the door. No one gave her a second glance. They didn't recognize her without the fancy dress she'd become famous for. She'd learned that little trick awhile ago when she wanted to get away from all the screaming fans.
     Smirking to herself, she snuck back into the crowd. Jack was onstage, beginning his usual performance of "North Pole, North Pole" to the tune of "New York, New York". Rose slipped into the seat next to her father and tapped his shoulder. He turned to her. "Look. I don't know if I believe you yet but I have a weird feeling you may be right. So I'm gonna go visit Bernard. If he wakes up like you think he will, then I'll get that snow globe for you. If he doesn't, then you have to accept that this is the ways things are now. Ok?"
    "Alright, princess."
    "There is one problem. Jack has guards surrounding the place. He doesn't want anyone to get in, especially not me. He says he doesn't want me to get hurt while I'm there."
    "To stop you from waking him." Scott replied.
     "We don't know that. But, regardless, I need some way to get the guards away from the door so I can get in."
     "You got it, princess. I'm gonna create a little diversion." With that, Scott stood up and shouted, "Well this show stinks! Bring Mrs. Claus back! At least she had talent!"
     At that moment, another guy stood up. "You're so right! I love Mrs. Claus!  I'm her number one fan and she deserves better than being a stand-up to this guy! Mrs. Claus!!"
     Right after he got up, several more men who had a crush on Rose stood up and started screaming for Mrs. Claus to come back. The guards rushed in and Scott and the fanboys started scattering in all directions as the guards chased them. Jack continued his number as the children applauded for him.
     Meanwhile, Rose managed to sneak away in the chaos. She made it out to the village to find it empty. Apparently, all the guards had been called in for backup with all the fans losing their minds. Excellent!
    She snuck into the elfirmary where things were a lot quieter. Sneaking into the right room was easy enough and soon, she was standing at the foot of Bernard's bed.
    He looked like he could've been sleeping and, to her surprise, she felt this overwhelming sense of loss. Unsure what to do, she walked over to the side of the bed.
    Looking down at him, she whispered, "I don't know what I'm doing. We don't really know each other all that much. I mean...we never really got the chance to know each other. We used to be close...well...to an extent, anyways. I always felt... maybe we could be more but then the accident happened. I don't know. Things are complicated. I don't know what's real and what isn't." She sighed. "I miss you, B."
    That last bit came out of nowhere. Still, it was true. She missed him even though they'd only known each other for a short amount of time. Yet, in that short time, she had cared for him in some capacity and maybe he felt the same.
     She waited for several minutes and he didn't move. Of course not. Sighing deeply, she turned to leave when a hand suddenly reached out and grabbed her. She turned in surprise to find Bernard awake, his hand wrapped around her wrist.
    "Snowflake? What happened?"
    "Bernard? You're awake?" She called out in surprise.
    "We don't have much time, Rose! I need to know, what's Jack Frost done?"
    "He's Santa Claus now."
    Bernard uttered a low curse. Rose recoiled in surprise, a second later, bending over as icy pain shot through her torso. Before she could even scream, her mouth was covered by something soft and sweet. It took a few minutes for her to realize Bernard was kissing her.
     She knew she should push him away but something about it felt right so she kissed him back, an arm wrapped around his neck.
     After what felt like days but was actually only a few minutes, they broke apart. Rose blinked as memories came back to her, memories that weren't hers, at least, not from this reality.
    They overtook her and she blinked again as realization set in. "What happened?"
    "I don't have time to explain. All you need to know is that your father needs you. You'll remember the rest soon enough."
    Rose nodded. "Then there's no time to waste! We have to get that snow globe!"
    With that, they rushed off to the Hall of Snowglobes.
                            * * * * *
    Meanwhile, Jack finished his song number, just in time for Scott to knock him into a pile of presents. Jack jumped back up, screaming, "I'm gonna kick the coal outta whoever did that!!"
    With that, Scott continued to cause a scene while the fanboys were being dragged out of the place, kicking and screaming. After awhile, the guards caught Scott as well.
    "Get this through your head," Jack said, grinning at Scott, "you're not Santa anymore. You're just a guy that smells like a cookie."
    At that moment, the guards rushed in. "Bernard escaped."
    "What?!" Jack yelled.
    "You're gonna lose, Jack!"
    Jack sneered at Scott. Just then, Rose and Bernard rushed in. Rose was holding Jack's snow globe in her hands and Scott saw her.
    "Hey. How about a game of toss?" He shouted. "Princess, toss it!"
    Rose immediately tossed the snow globe. Jack turned around in time to caught it as Scott pulled out the recorder pen.
     Realizing what it was, Jack grinned. "Ooh nice try, compadre. And love the teamwork." He turned to his wife and Bernard. "And you even woke up Bernard and got my wife to help you!"
     Bernard gave Rose a weird look. Rose shrugged before responding, "Jack, this is wrong and you know it!"
     "Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But that doesn't matter. Your father was the one who enacted the Escape Clause! And now he wants me to do the same and change things!" He turned back to Scott. "There's only one problem. You're never gonna get me to say--"
     He was cut off as Scott pressed the button on the recorder pen. "I wish I'd never been Santa at all." The recorded voice of Jack proclaimed.
     Scott grinned as he repeated the same thing Jack had said earlier. "Now who said that? Rudolph? Rudolph's mama?"
     With that, the magic surrounded the pair. Just before it took them away completely, Scott heard his daughter call out, "Bring things back to how they were! I believe in you, dad! And we'll see you on the other side!"
     Then the magic whisked Scott and Jack back to the past once again.