Chapter 1

Rose Marie Calvin sighed as she stood at the door, waiting for her family to arrive home. The 16 year old jumped slightly as her phone went off, sounding like a loud siren.
     Knowing who it was, she wasted no time with the pleasantries. "Dad, where are you?"
      "Wow! Not even a hello for your dad?"
      "Dad, I'm serious. Mom will be here any minute and I'm not dealing with Dr. I-Got-My-PhD-Out-of-a-Cereal-Box by myself."
     From the other end, her dad laughed out loud. "You are definitely my daughter! I'm sorry but I got tied up with work. Don't worry, princess. I'll be home in five."
     "Ok."
     She hung up just in time for a car to pull up and the driver to honk his horn. She rolled her eyes at her stepfather. She couldn't stand him because, as far as she and her dad were concerned, the guy was an idiot who spent way too much time trying to push therapy on everyone.
      Rose pushed open the front door and walked over to the car where her mom was getting out. Immediately, Laura Miller ran over to hug her daughter in excitement to see her.
      Looking between the two, no one would guess that Rose and Laura were related. Whereas Laura had short black hair and brown eyes, Rose had long red hair and hazel eyes. They were similar only in height and facial structure.
      Laura was the first to pull away from the embrace. "Where's your father?"
      "He's on his way." Rose said. "He had to work late."
      "Seriously? On Christmas Eve? I don't understand why he won't just take a few days off even for you and Charlie!"
      Rose took a deep breath and began to defuse the situation. "Mom, it's fine. He'll be here soon and, besides, I'll be taking care of Charlie. Trust me, this won't be like last Christmas when we had to eat pancakes at the diner."
      Laura smiled. "Well thank goodness we have you! I don't think your father would survive one day without you."
      Rose laughed. "Could you do me a favor and tell Dad that when he gets here?"
      The two women laughed. At that moment, the car door opened and Charlie came running over to Rose. Smiling widely, Rose opened her arms and picked him up, spinning him around for a second before placing a kiss on her little brother's cheek.
      "Hey there, lil monster!"
      Charlie snuggled into his big sister's arms, laying his head on her shoulder. From the car, they could hear tapping as Neil impatiently gestured for Laura to hurry up. Rose stuck her tongue out childishly at her stepdad.
      At that moment, Scott's car pulled into the driveway and he got out, making his way over to the two women who were chatting.
     "Sorry I'm late." He said to Laura before kissing Charlie on top of his head.
      "You wanna say hello to Neil?"
      "Dad doesn't like Neil." Charlie said.
      "I don't blame him." Rose added.
      "Do you two always have to be mean to Neil?"
      "Yes." Rose said.
      Scott added, "Not necessarily. We could be rude, sarcastic, whatever it takes." He waved at Neil who smiled and waved back.
      With that, the small group walked into the house. Rose set Charlie down so she could go into the kitchen and start cooking.
       "There's not many presents under the tree." Charlie observed.
      "Well that's because Santa hasn't got here yet."
      Rose walked into the kitchen before she could hear any more of the conversation. Immediately, she began pulling out pots, pans, some seasonings, and was just about to grab the turkey when she heard shouting from the other room.
      "Are you two arguing again? And in front of Charlie?" She said, getting tired of hearing her parents fight. That was how it had been for the two years before they finally split up and it had been hell for her.
      "No. It's just your mom's singing. It sounds a lot like arguing though, doesn't it? Cats and dogs even." Scott covered.
      "You two need to stop." Rose reasoned. "What do you even have to fight about anyway?"
       "Her idiot husband told Charlie that Santa isn't real!"
       "Mom! Let Charlie just believe in Santa! Honestly, what's the harm in letting him have some imagination?"
       "Besides, who gave you permission to tell Charlie there was no Santa Claus? I think if we're gonna destroy our son's delusions, I should be a part of it!"
      "Dad! Not the point!" Rose said.
      "Well, I have to go. If you need anything, we'll be at Neil's parent's."
      "Ah! Christmas at the pound!" Scott proceeded to make howling noises.
      "Anyway!" Rose interrupted. "I'm gonna go get Charlie and start cooking."
       Laura stepped over to her daughter. "Ok, sweetheart. Take care and have a good Christmas Eve."
       "I will, mom. And I'm coming to visit you tomorrow, remember?"
       "Yes. I can't wait!" She then turned her attention to Charlie who had just walked into the room. "Bye, Charlie!"
       "Bye, mom!" He called, blowing her a sad kiss.
       Laura then left, leaving the three to themselves.
       Rose turned her attention to Charlie. "C'mon, lil monster! Wanna help me make dinner?"
      Charlie lit up like the lights on the Christmas tree. "Yes!!!"
      They made their way to the kitchen and Rose got to work getting out the rest of the things she'd need. "Ok. Turkey first since it'll take the longest."
       She pulled out the cookbook and began preparing the turkey when Scott walked in and read the first line in the cookbook. "Four hours?!"
       She rolled her eyes. This was gonna be a loooong night....