Chapter 39

Once the Millers got the news, they loaded up into the sleigh with Scott to head back to the North Pole as fast as possible.
    Within minutes, they were heading to the elfirmary to check on Rose. Lucy felt nervous as she stood at the door, about to enter. Her father patted her on the back and Scott gave her an encouraging half smile.
    Taking a deep breath, Lucy entered the room. Rose was laid out on the hospital bed. Her skin was pale, her hair a mess, and her lips were blue. She looked up when Lucy entered and a big smile lit up her face.
    "Hey, LuLu!"
    "Sissy, I'm gonna save you." Lucy said, sniffling a bit.
    Rose didn't move as Lucy rushed over to her bed. Lucy climbed up into the bed and hugged her sister, laying her head on her chest. Pouring out all the love she had for her sister, she was relieved when Rose's skin took on a sunny glow again.
    Rose grabbed ahold of her sister and pulled her closer. "Thanks, Lu. You saved me."
    At that moment, the door burst open and everyone came running in, grabbing Rose up in a big hug. About a minute later, Bernard came crashing through the door, he paused for a moment before rushing over and picking Rose up into his arms.
    Holding her close, a tear fell down his face as he whispered, "Don't you ever leave me like that again."
    Rose had the audacity to laugh. "Well, I guess you can consider this payback for scaring me for several months."
    Bernard smiled. "Alright. Fair enough."
    They laughed as they held each other.
                            * * * * *
    "What do you think about Lacey?" Rose asked as she and her husband sat down to lunch.
    It was a few days after the incident and her and Bernard had been inseparable since. He wouldn't let his wife out of his sight for more than a few minutes and only when someone else was with her. She'd given him quite the scare when she almost died. He didn't intend to lose her again, especially not after just getting back from his coma.
    At the moment, the couple were sitting at a table in the kitchen, eating lunch, and Rose had been mostly quiet for a good few minutes until she decided to speak up.
    "Hmm?" Bernard asked his wife.
    "Lacey. I like the name."
    "It's nice." Bernard said. "But I was thinking something more like Bell or Isabelle or Noelle."
    Rose smiled. "Those are nice too." She relented. "So possible girl names are Lacey, Bell, Isabelle, and Noelle. How about guy names?"
    Bernard bit his lip. "That's harder." He admitted.
    Around that time, Carol appeared, sliding into the seat next to Rose, Buddy on her lap. "How about Nick or David?" She suggested.
    Rose thought for a second. "I like those."
    They chatted for a few minutes over names, some Rose agreed with while others she didn't care for. The talk went on for awhile and, once it was over, Rose headed back to the floor to work, Bernard keeping an eye on her.
    As she was working, Rose kept bending over in pain. Once again worried about his wife, Bernard took her into his office to rest.
    "Well this seems familiar..." Rose joked. Bernard gave her a look and she rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, B! The babies are just kicking." She groaned as she sat back in his chair. "At least one of them is a born fighter."
    Bernard smiled. "Just like their mom." He placed a hand on his wife's stomach. "Come on, love. Let's go home early today and I'll give you a warm bath before bed."
    Rose took a deep breath. "That sounds nice. Do I get a back rub too?" She teased.
    "Anything for you, Snowflake."
    She laughed as he took her home.
                               * * * * *
    Rose sighed as Bernard washed her off gently in the bath tub. "I missed this." She admitted. "Just the two of us...being together, spending time together."
    Bernard smiled. "I've missed it too." He gave his wife a look and she moved away.
     "Whoa! Easy there, tiger! That's how we ended up here in the first place!"
    Bernard laughed as he rubbed his wife's shoulders. "I just can't wait to start our family with you. I know...it seems like I'm rushing things but...I never had this before. I always wanted it but I never had it. And now that I do, I guess I just want it all."
   Rose shook her head. "Be patient. Soon enough we'll have the family you and I always wanted." They settled when she felt something. "Ooh, B! I think the babies are listening! Say something!"
    She held his hand over her stomach. "Hey, babies. It's daddy." Bernard said in a ridiculous voice.
    Rose laughed. "B, don't do that voice! They'll think their dad is nuts!"
    "I'm a little nervous here." Bernard said. "This is a first for me."
    "Oh! Feel that? They like your voice!"
    "Well of course they do." Bernard said confidently. "I'm their dad."
    Rose laughed again. "Ok then. Let's get to bed, shall we?"
                                 * * * * *
    Time passed after that and everything was fine. Rose went on maternity leave early, per her husband's wishes and after awhile, he joined her for his paternity leave.
    It was still fairly early on in the year and even though most of the elves were back at work, Bernard felt confident Curtis could handle things until he came back.
    One day, some months later, Rose came to Bernard with news: "B, the babies are coming!!"

Alright, my lovelies! Next chapter will be the last aside from the bonus and the epilogue. Those come later this month! Take care and bless you all!