Chapter 30

As soon as Rose figured it out, she knew she'd have to keep a close eye on Jack Frost. As she expected, he still was trying to cause trouble so she subtly kept fixing things around the workshop.
    After she had helped Santa with fixing up some new toys, Rose decided to take a few moments to rest as she was starting to feel bad again. She left the workshop and headed back to her house to make something to eat and brew some herbal tea. She wasn't gonna trust Frost again...not after what he had done.
     And while Rose was busy trying to take care of herself, Jack was causing more trouble....
                             * * * * *
     Lucy had finally convinced Scott to show her the Hall of Snowglobes. Jack followed behind them as Scott put in the secret code. The door swung around and they disappeared into the Hall of Snowglobes.
     A few minutes later, they left. As the door swung shut behind them, the door swung open for Jack. He stepped into the room and crossed it in two quick strides.
    Remembering what Rose had told him, he grabbed the one in the center. Grinning evilly, he headed back to the door.
                            * * * * *
    Lucy was skipping around, happily with the snow globe Scott had given her. At that moment, she saw Jack Frost walking out of the Hall of Snowglobes with Scott's personal snow globe.
    Boldly, she walked over to him and firmly stated, "That's Uncle Scott's snow globe! It doesn't belong to you!"
    Jack grinned maliciously. "I know. Isn't it great?"
    "It's not great! You've done a terrible thing! You'll be on the naughty list for the rest of your life!"
     "But naughty list people have more fun."
     "I'm going for help. Imma tell everyone and you'll be sorry!" With that, she ran off.
     "I wouldn't do that if I were you!" Ha warned from behind her. Ignoring him, Lucy ran into the workshop and called for her parents. They came running after her. Jack closed the door and said, "I told you not to tell."
     With that, his face went blue and he froze Laura and Neil on the spot. "What did you do?" Lucy crued out hopelessly.
     "I froze them. Now am I gonna have to do the same to you?" He gestured to the closet he'd stuck them in. Lucy reluctantly walked into the closet. "Smart girl." He muttered. As soon as Lucy was safely in the closet, he added, "Don't be upset. I've had children beg me to freeze their parents! And to think I asked you to be my elf."
     He closed the door. Before he could walk off, he heard Lucy sassily remark. "You're a horrible person, Jack Frost and you'll always be alone."
     Leaning in, he whispered, "Not once I win over your sister, little brat."
    With that, he walked off.
                                * * * * *
    Rose didn't return for awhile so the family was busying themselves with getting things ready while they waited. Finally, she arrived just as they were trying to get Scott's attention to put on the tree topper.
    "Hi, everyone! Sorry I'm late."
    "That's ok." Carol said, smile on her face. "We were just about to put on the tree topper."
    "Oh right!" she raised her voice,  "DAD, TREE TOPPER TIME! MOVE IT!"
     "Alright, princess, I'm coming."
     "How'd you do that?" Bud asked. "We've veen trying to get his attention all day!"
     "Let's just say I took care of my dad for years. I know what makes him tick."
     "Alright." Scott said, walking over and taking the tree topper. He made a short speech before sticking it on the tree, at which point, the tree fell over and crashed to the ground.
     Carol sadly picked up the broken ornament, crying as she tried to put it back together.
     "I'm sorry. I know you're upset."
     "Ya picked up on that, did ya?" Bud sassed.
     "Seriously, what the hell's bells is your problem, old man?" Rose asked. "Have nothing better to do?"
     "It's just your father here is never here for her and you're just a brat that constantly wants attention!"
     "FUCK YOU!" Rose shouted.
     "Maybe you just don't understand the pressure we're both under!" Scott added. "My daughter is pregnant and doesn't know when she'll see her husband again and it doesn't help that she has a job to do taking care of things you couldn't possibly understand! And I'm busy! Maybe that's why I called you here, Bud! So you can be with Carol while I try to do things you couldn't begin to understand either! But, rather than help, it seems you're just trying to make things worse!"
    "That's it! We're leaving!" Bud said.
    "Maybe we shouldn't have come." Silvia added.
    "You're right. Maybe you shouldn't have."
    "Maybe I never should've come either." Carol added.
    "You don't mean that!" Rose said.
    "Don't say anything you'll regret!" Jack shouted, saving Rose and Scott from saying anything else. "I think we all just need to calm down."
    With that, he led Scott out of the room, Rose just managing to catch sight of something in his hands before he disappeared.
                              * * * * *
    "Jack!" Jack heard his name being called. He turned to see Rose rushing after him.
    "Santa, could you give me a quick moment, friend?"
    Scott nodded as he walked off. Rose approached Jack. He stopped in his tracks and waited. At that moment, with her father out of sight, she backslapped Jack to the ground. He fell onto the snowy ground and groaned as he felt his split lip from where she had punched him.
    He chuckled darkly and Rose was surprised before Jack got back to his feet and grabbed her by the neck. "Oh, Snowflake! You shouldn't have done that!"
     She swayed dangerously as she felt a wave of nausea overtake her. "What? What's happening?"
     "My failsafe." Jack grinned evilly. "I wanted to make sure you'd be mine in whatever reality I end up in. Even if I couldn't get your father to invoke the Escape Clause, I still wanted you to be mine. Don't get it wrong, pet. I want his position. But having you as well...that was an offer I just couldn't refuse."
    Rose spat in his face. "Why? Why do you want me so bad? And how is this a failsafe?"
    "Second question first. I spiked your tea of course. Not that you'd even notice. I just frosted it just a smidgen but that's all she took. I froze your heart so that I'm the only one you'll want. That heart will freeze solid if you don't choose me. As for why I want you, well...I've had my eye on you for years. You used to believe in me so strongly that I existed when no one else believed. When your father became Santa, that belief returned without you even knowing. That and you are beautiful as well. And I can't resist a woman with spunk. Why not you??"
     "Fuck you, Frostface!"
     "Doesn't matter if you say yes or no to me now. I will take your father's job and his life and then you, my dear, will be mine as well as all my wildest dreams."
     With that, he let go of her and ran off to find Santa. Rose was surprised when she didn't hit the ground. Instead, arms wrapped around her, strong and familiar. She looked up to see, to her surprise, that it was Bernard!
     "Hold on, Snowflake!" He shouted as the wind picked up, blowing snow everywhere. "Hold on! I love you!"
     With that, he kissed her passionately, holding her close. A moment later, her eyes opened and she felt normal again. "B?" She asked.
     "No time to explain!" He shouted. "If Jack Frost is behind this, then that means...."
     At that moment, a light exploded out of nowhere. And that's when they knew: Scott had invoked the Escape Clause. They were too late.