Chapter 22

"Welcome home, Snowflake." Bernard said, holding Rose bridal style as he opened his house door with magic.
     It had been two weeks since their wedding and they had just returned from their honeymoon. Bernard was now currently carrying his wife into their home.
     Rose giggled. Bernard carried her into the house and set her back down on her feet. It was the first time Rose got to see the inside of Bernard's house. True, she'd come over a lot during their years of dating but she mainly just saw the front room and his bedroom in those situations.
     Now that she was seeing the whole thing, she loved it. Bernard waited to hear what her thoughts were on the house and bit his lip nervously, a habit he picked up from her. "I mean...I know it's nothing special. It's not too big or fancy. I can always get us something better. Yea, that's what I should do--"
     Rose cut him off, placing two fingers against his lips. "Shh! Bernard, it's perfect. And, honestly, I couldn't care less where we live. As long as I'm with you, I'm home."
     Bernard smiled, kissing her hand. "I love you so much."
     "Well I hope so otherwise forever is gonna be a long time." Rose joked.
     Bernard laughed before taking Rose back into his arms, this time for a kiss. Then he shut the door.
                            * * * * *
     A few days later, Santa called Bernard into his office. Bernard walked in, a giant smile on his face.
    "Good morning, Santa." He noticed Carol sitting in one of the chairs. "Mrs. Claus."
    "Good to see you, son." Bernard raised an eyebrow at the nickname. "Technically you are my son now." Santa explained. Bernard nodded, smiling fondly at his father-in-law. "I can see married life suits you." Santa joked.
    "I could say the same for you."
    Both men chuckled. Carol excused herself to get something to eat and left the room. "So I called you here to ask for a favor, old friend."
   "What can I do for you, Santa?"
   "Well, now that Carol is my wife, I want to do something special for her. I was thinking of building a bigger and better house."
    "That seems like a good idea."
    "And I'd like your help to do it."
    "I'd be glad to, Santa."
    "Thank you, Bernard. I knew I could count on you."
    Bernard smiled as he left the room.
                            * * * * *
    As the days passed, the North Pole was abuzz with work. Half the elves were getting things ready for Christmas while the other half were helping in the building of Santa's new house. It was completed mere hours before Christmas morning so when Santa came home from his midnight ride, he saw what everyone had done for him and thanked everyone for an amazing Christmas present.
    After that, he and Carol moved into their new house to start their new life together.
                            * * * * *
    Things were going well at the Pole: Scott was the best Santa any could ever ask for, Rose was a happy woman enjoying taking care of everyone, Scott and Carol were married, Rose and Bernard were married, everything was running smoothly. It all seemed perfect.
    There was one issue, however. Jack Frost, the legendary figure for the winter holiday loved creating chaos. The first time that the Santa crew met him was a day that became infamous in their books. Basically, he had waltzed in like he owned the joint, knocked over a few elves, insulted Bernard, and hit on Rose. Rose had smacked the hell outta him, making him smirk at her before meeting with Santa.
     No one in the North Pole liked Jack Frost much after that. The problem was he was too stubborn to realize that fact. And messing with Rose was just another thing that got on everyone's nerves.
    They just hoped they wouldn't have to deal with him too much. Boy, were they in for a world of trouble!
                             * * * * *
    A little over two years after Carol became Mrs. Claus, she learned she was pregnant which delighted everyone in the Pole. Rose, who had grown close to Carol and become her best friend, was especially happy, opting to take care of Carol during her difficult time.
    Bernard, while happy for the big man, felt more than a little jealous. The more his wife discussed with him all about how things were going with Carol, the more he found himself suddenly wishing more than ever that Rose would get pregnant. He loved his wife dearly and the thought of beginning a family filled him with a sense of purpose that hadn't been filled in over two thousand years.
     Rose seemed oblivious to his wishes but she knew what he wanted. It was what she wanted too. The idea of having Bernard's kid made her smile. They would have yet another person in their ever expanding family to love!
     She told Bernard that she desired the same thing as him and he immediately set to work on expanding their little house to make room for the children they planned to have together.
     And that's when the accident happened. And even though they had no idea at the time, it was all Jack's fault.