Chapter 17

By the next morning, Scott's beard was completely gone and Rose's hair was back to its original shade. Everyone had assured Scott they would help him to find a wife but, so far, he wasn't having any luck.
     Rose kept Bernard updated on what was going on back at home and it looked like Bernard and Curtis were at least having an easier time with Toy Santa and Toy Rose. Rose told Bernard she loved him and missed him and he responded with a passionate kiss, reminding her that she could do it. They'd find someone for her father.
      So far, she wasn't sure.
                            * * * * *
     Meanwhile at the workshop, things were going great. It took some time, but it seemed that Toy Santa and Toy Rose were learning.
      The first time Toy Santa had drank hot cocoa, he had freaked out before revealing that he loved it. Afterwards, they taught him that his job was to take care of the children. Curtis had given Toy Santa the handbook to show him the rules and everything he'd need to do his job.
     Toy Rose was a little harder to teach but she learned well enough that she was supposed to protect her father and the Pole. Unfortunately, she didn't have Rose's powers but what she lacked in magic, she made up for in determination.
     The only thing that had him slightly concerned was when Toy Santa and Curtis were talking about changing things at the Pole but Bernard wasn't as worried as he could've been since Rose had called him for another update.
                          * * * * *
     A few days later, Bernard was working a late night in his office when he got a knock at the door. Sighing loudly, he pushed back his chair from his desk, got up, and answered it.
     There, Toy Rose stood. It was the first time he had been this close to her. Usually, he was always following her and Toy Santa which was weird enough, but this was a whole different experience.
     She looked like Rose with that in-between hair Rose had had before she left, ears mostly pointy, pretty face, hazel eyes, fair skin, and curves. However, there were a lot of differences. Her skin was plastic and rubbery, her eyes were mostly lifeless, and, while she wore the dress that Rose usually did, it didn't fit her the same.
     He cleared his throat. "What can I do for you?"
     Toy Rose moved closer to him, a sly smile on her face. "Well," she whispered, "I was just thinking," she slowly leaned in, wrapping her arms around him, "that I miss you and I want you." With that, she leaned in to kiss him.
     Bernard leaned away. "What...what are you...?"
     Toy Rose pouted. "Do you not want me?" He quirked an eyebrow, unsure how to respond. "Do you not want your fiancé?" She repeated.
     Now Bernard understood. "You.... you do know that you aren't my fiancé, right?"
     "Don't you remember? You proposed."
     "To Rose."
     "I am Rose."
     "No. You're a copy of her, a toy."
     "No. I am Rose."
     Bernard took a deep breath. Maybe she didn't realize she was a toy. He'd have to talk to Curtis about it.
     Thinking on his feet, he responded, "You're right. You're my fiancé. I'm sorry, Snowflake. It's just...been a long couple of days."
     Toy Rose smiled. "It's ok, B. I understand. Get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow."
     Bernard nodded. Toy Rose left the room, leaving Bernard feeling very confused.
                            * * * * *
     A couple days later, Rose called for Bernard. He took her back to the Pole where they spent an afternoon of general chit-chat over lunch before he took her back to his office for a more in-depth conversation.
     "So," Rose asked, lounging in Bernard's chair, "how're things working up here? Seems like everything's going just fine."
     Bernard smiled. "Yea. They really are. I can't believe it but Curtis may actually be on to something here."
    Rose raised an eyebrow. "Wow. You admitting that Curtis did a good job? What alternate reality did I end up in?"
    They both laughed. "The only weird thing is the toy version of you..." Rose looked at Bernard who looked a little uncomfortable. "She kind of hit on me."
     Rose laughed. "Well, what can I say? Any version of me apparently has good taste."
     Bernard smirked at her. "Behave yourself." He said. "Or I'll have to teach you a lesson."
     Rose smirked right back. He approached her, leaning down to eye level and kissing her. She wrapped her arms around him and kissed back. His lips moved to her neck before he whispered, "Let me have you."
     "Always."
     Things got heated from there.
     Unfortunately, neither one noticed that someone was watching them. Toy Rose saw the whole thing and grew angry.
     "I'm gonna make you pay for that, B!" She whispered to no one in particular. "You're mine and I won't let someone like her steal you away." Then she rushed off.
                           * * * * *
      The next day, Rose woke up in her bed at the Millers. Smiling about the night before, Rose got up and changed into a long sleeved shirt with a belt, leggings, ankle boots, and the necklace she always wore. She straightened her hair today rather than keeping it in its natural wavy state.
     She headed downstairs to find Scott on the phone. She poured herself a bowl of cereal and waited for her father to finish his call. He shouted at whoever was talking to him and hung up.
     "Everything ok?"
     "Charlie got himself in trouble again! Now I have to go talk with that vampire of a principal."
     "Do you want me to come with you?"
     "No thanks. I think one smartass is all that woman can handle."
     "Ok. I guess I'll drop in on Bernard again." Rose said, shrugging.
     Scott hugged his daughter. "I love ya, princess. Never forget that."
      "I know, dad. Now go before the principal has an annerizism."
     Scott chuckled, kissed the top of her head, and left out the door. Once his car had pulled out of sight, Rose shut the door and spun the vial on her necklace, calling for Bernard. Just as she was about to give up, he appeared.
     "Hey, Snowflake. What's up?"
     Rose let out a sigh before walking over and hugging him tight. "I just wanted to see you."
     Bernard chuckled. "Well I'll always be here for you." He paused. "Is that all that's bothering you?"
      "I don't know, B. Ever since we found out about the Mrs. Clause, I've been feeling..."
     She was cut off at the sound of Bernard's watch beeping. He uttered a curse. "Curtis needs me."
     "Go see what he needs."
     "Are you sure? I know you need me too. Curtis can always--"
     "No. Just go, B. I'll be fine."
     Bernard sighed. "Are you sure?"
     Rose nodded. Bernard kissed her forehead, leaned in and whispered, "I'll be back soon. I love you."
     She smiled. "I know. Love you too."
     With that, Bernard disappeared. Rose groaned. Ever since finding out about the Mrs. Clause, she'd felt useless. She couldn't convince Charlie to behave, she couldn't help her dad find a wife, and Bernard was too busy for her. She didn't know what to do!
                          * * * * *
     Scott followed Principal Newman as she walked up the stairs. "You've really lost weight." She observed. "Are you sure you're ok?"
    "I was until I got this phone call."
    They made it to where the lockers were. Principal Newman shut one to reveal a message spray painted across them.
     "Charlie! You shouldn't have done this again! You broke your promise! I'm gonna have to ground you! Two months!"
     "Dad!"
     "I've got a better one. Charlie, you're suspended."
     "Whoa! Isn't there some way we can punish him without taking him out of school?"
     "Well, what did you have in mind?"
     Scott stumbled with his words. Why did Charlie have to get himself in trouble all the time? Why couldn't he be more like Rose? She was such an easy child to take care of. Granted, she had an attitude as bad as his but she was a good kid and a good student.
     Even before the divorce, she had been a good kid. Even if her attitude had been a bit much during and after, she still was able to keep her grades up, helped around the house, took care of him for the last few years before he became Santa, did a lot of community service....that's it!
     "Community service?" Scott suggested.
     "Not a bad idea." Principal Newman went on to tell Charlie her plan for him to clean the lockers and that they'd meet on Saturday with her group to clean up the graffiti. "And, Charlie, we'll talk about the suspension."
    With that, she turned on her heel and left. "Why would you do that, dad? You're supposed to be on my side!"
     "I'm not on anyone's side. You have to accept the consequences of your actions."
     "Rose would've taken my side!"
     "Rose isn't your father."
     "Maybe she should be. At least she has been here for me while you just forgot I exist!"
     With that, Charlie ran off.
                              * * * * *
     When Bernard got back from talking to Rose, Curtis showed him the trouble. "Curtis, what is he doing in the Naughty and Nice center?" They ran over to where Toy Santa was. "What's going on over here?"
     "I'm checking the Naughty and Nice list. Actually I'm checking it twice."
     "I ALREADY TOLD YOU!" Bernard raised his voice only to see several elves looking his way. "It's been checked. Don't worry."
     "Well I do worry. There's a lot of mistakes on this list." Toy Santa went on to list examples. Despite Bernard and Curtis' explanations, he disagreed. "According to the Santa handbook, naughty children get lumps of coal in their stockings. And if they don't have stockings, we will make them stockings. In my personal opinion, I think they should all get coal in their stockings, do you?"
     "NO!" Curtis shouted. "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!"
     "Get me the Naughty Nice List. Get me every list! Princess, get me everything!"
     Toy Rose, who had just walked up, grinned. "Sure thing, daddy. And, while you're at it, I know someone else who's been naughty."
     "Who?"
     With that, an angry look crossed her face as she pointed her finger... right at Bernard.