Chapter 28

Carol and Rose came out to see Carol's parents, the former rushing to hug her parents. They embraced and talked, Silvia casually mentioning in a passive-aggressive manner that maybe they could find out why Carol shur them out of their lives. The whole group tried not to think about that.
                             * * * * *
     Meanwhile, Neil, Laura, and Lucy went to check out the workshop.
     "It's amazing!" They said.
     "Be careful. You are more than welcome to look but don't touch anything."
     "Yea. I'll make sure they don't get into anything." Neil said.
     At that moment, Lucy ran off to look at some toy she liked, Neil about to follow when he got distracted by trains. Laura simply ran off to make a doll.
    Curtis growled in frustration. Why did everyone listen to Bernard but not him?? Right about now, he was missing his old friend. He could definitely use the guidance.
                             * * * * *
    Jack Frost had gotten bored around the time that Carol's parents showed up. He would've loved to get closer to Rose but she was being stubborn so he had his work cut out for him. No matter. He liked a challenge.
    Moving about the workshop, he made his way to a backroom. "The Hall of Snowglobes, perhaps?"
    He still couldn't believe he'd gotten Rose to tell him about the Escape Clause. Luckily, she was vulnerable. Perhaps, if he played his cards right and ruined things for the big man, she'd become vulnerable enough for him to win over?
    Opening the doors, he found nothing but a bunch of cocoa beans. Just as he was wondering about them, Lucy came running up.
    "Who are you?" She asked.
    "Who are you?" He repeated. "You don't particularly resemble one of the red one's minions."
    "I'm Lucy. Scott's my uncle."
    "Oh! I'm Frost. Jack Frost."
    "Who?"
    "Jack Frost. Y'know...the Jack Frost? Legendary Figure?"
    "Never heard of you. But I know the others! Tooth Fairy and Sandman and the Easter Bunny!"
    "Well ya gotta know about me! I'm a legendary figure myself with enormous power of my own right!"
    "Ok, ok! Chill!"
    "I INVENTED CHILL!" He took a deep breath, "Sorry. If you know the big man, you've gotta know Rose."
    "Oh yea! She's my big sister!" Lucy said, big smile on her face.
    "She's my friend."
    "Oh...I know who you are!"
    "Finally!"
    "You're the guy who tried to hit on her and got punched in the face!" She said, laughing.
    "I wouldn't exactly say...."
    "Boy, you made her mad!" Lucy laughed more.
    "Well I only do it out of love. Say, would you like to be my elf? Help me out?"
    Lucy shook her head. "Um...no. Sissy deserves better. Bye!" With that, she flounced off.
    Jack gritted his teeth. "No!" He mocked. "Sissy deserves better!" He shook his head. "She'll get the best when she has me. You'll all see. Jerks." He stomped off.
                             * * * * *
    Neil had roped some of the elves into doing yoga, telling them that stress could take hundreds of years off of their lives.
    Meanwhile, Scott, Carol, and Rose were showing the Newman's around. "You take Christmas seriously." Silvia observed.
     "Oh yes! It's the best time of the year!"
     Bud scoffed. "Oh Bud! Just cuz you're not into Christmas doesn't mean others can't enjoy it!"
     "Well I don't know how much people are gonna enjoy their Christmas this year! This stuff should've been in stores ages ago!"
     "Not to worry. We've got our own special delivery system."
     "What? Freezing time?"
     All those in the loop laughed nervously.
     "Not to worry." Rose said. "We've got things well in hand."
     "Speaking of." Silvia said. "How are the babies doing?"
     "Oh they're just fine, Silvia. Thank you for your concern."
     "I hear you and our little girl have gotten close."
     "Mom!" Carol said.
     "It's ok, Carol. Yes, we've gotten very close. Those of us who are preggers need to stick together." Rose said with a smile.
     "Who's hungry?"
     "Me!" Rose said.
     "Me!" Carol said.
     "Sure." Silvia added.
     They headed off to the kitchen.
                           * * * * *
     Jack had already started causing chaos around the workshop. Distracting the elves into leaving their workstations, he immediately began using his powers to mess up the machines. Then he'd walk away, whistling as he did so.
    Deciding he'd messed enough up by lunchtime for now, he headed off to find his favorite red-headed elf.
                          * * * * *
    Bud was finally impressed once he saw the kitchen and, more importantly, the oven. "You could cook a wooly mammoth in there!"
    "Mostly I just like rotisserie or pizza myself." Rose added. "Cooks in under a minute."
    "You've been holding out on us! Why all the secrecy?"
    "There's no secrets!"
    That's when Jack decided to show his face. "Rose, my dear! I come bearing gifts!" He said, rushing up. "I got you a special kind of lunch and some more of that tea you like."
    "Oh...um...thanks, Jack. We were actually about to have lunch."
    He glanced over to see the others. "Oh you must be the in-laws!" He rushed over to greet them, pulling Rose after him. "Enchanté." He greeted Silvia.
    "This is..."
    "Jack Frost."
    "He helps things along here and brings joy to the workers."
    "I see. And does he always hit on your daughter, Scott?" Bud asked.
    Jack smirked. "Only trying to help a friend in need, of course. She hasn't been feeling well so I took it upon myself to help her out while her husband is, unfortunately, not around."
    "You see? This is what happens when you let your son-in-law go away on business trips all willy nilly."
    Before anyone could make a remark on the subject, Jack responded, "Well I'd hate to think what other thoughts enter your insecure, fragile mind, old man. Leave Rose alone."
    With that, he took Rose's arm and led her away from the in-laws. Rose smiled. "Thanks, Jack. I really don't know what crawled up that dude's ass and died but I can't deal with it right now."
    Jack laughed at her words. "Trust me, I've dealt with guys like that more often than you'd think. He just has nothing better to do so that's why he acts that way. But enough about that. Let me take care of you."
    She smiled again. "I really appreciate this, Jack."
    As she ate, on the inside, Jack was thinking just how he could win her over. It seemed, maybe he already had started....