Chapter 25

Rose followed after her father as they left the council meeting. "Dad, have you lost your mind? Jack Frost of all people?!"
     "We don't really have much of a choice, princess. I'm behind on toy production and we have to get the place ready for the in-laws. We're gonna need all the help we can get."
     "Jack Frost is not gonna help us! He'll be just one more thing we have to worry about." Rose said, exasperated.
     "That's why I want you to keep an eye on him."
     "Me? Do you have an idea how bad of an idea that is?"
     "Don't worry. I'll have Curtis keep an eye on him too."
     Before Rose could make a smartass comment, Jack Frost appeared, wrapping an arm around Rose. "Hey! What's up, buttercup?"
     "I'd prefer you not to touch me at the moment." Rose said, moving his arm and shooting her father a look. "I already wanna throw up without any extra help."
     "I'm sorry." He said, an apologetic look on his face. "Is there anything I can do to help?"
     Rose sighed. As annoying as Jack Frost could be, she didn't completely hate him. "While I appreciate the offer, Jack, I'm fine. I honestly just need some space."
     "That's good news," her father said, "because we're about to go home to see Laura, Neil, Charlie, and Lucy."
     "Really, dad?" Rose asked. "Oh my gosh! Let's go!"
     Santa chuckled. "Thought that might cheer you up. Curtis, keep an eye on Frost, would ya?"
     "Yessir."
     Jack Frost groaned in annoyance, muttering how he'd much rather Rose keep an eye on him but the others weren't paying attention. Rose grabbed her dad's hand and, in seconds, they were standing outside the Miller's house.
     "You feeling ok?" Santa asked as his daughter faltered, leaning against him for support. "We could've taken some reindeer with us."
     "Too conspicuous." Rose reminded. "And I'll be fine. I just need to sit down."
     At that moment, Lucy and Charlie came bursting out the door. Lucy immediately launched herself into Santa's arms and he made a comment about her warm hugs. Charlie had gently hugged his sister, already knowing her predicament.
     They switched and Charlie hugged his dad tightly, Lucy gingerly hugging her half-sister. That's when Laura and Neil came out. Each hugged Santa and Rose in turn.
     "We should get inside." Laura said. "C'mon, sweetie, let's get you in a chair." She added to Rose.
     They each walked back inside and Laura sat her daughter in a chair. "So how's the pregnancy going?"
     "It's fine." Rose said. "I'm having twins."
     "Wow!" Charlie said. "Imagine two babies hiding in that tiny little body."
     "This 'tiny little person' can still whip your butt, Char!" Rose joked.
     "Aww! Now you're trying to be intimidating!" He said, hugging his sister.
     The family laughed as they began talking. Lucy mentioned her love of snow globes and Charlie told his father and sister about his trip with his girlfriend. At the mention of that, Santa got up and began rummaging I his bag for a gift, finally pulling out a snowboard.
     "Thank goodness it wasn't a car." Neil said.
     "Speaking of." Rose said. She snapped her fingers and produced a set of keys that she handed to Charlie. "I got you a car. But only use her for things mom and Neil approve of, ok, Charlie? We don't need you on the naughty list again."
     "I promise, sis. Thank you!" He hugged her.
     Behind Santa, Lucy was trying to fit in his bag. "It takes practice." Santa said, laughing.
     "I wish I could come to the North Pole with you and Sissy."
     "That's true." Laura said, thinking. "And, y'know with Rose pregnant, she really needs her mother and Carol being pregnant too....I could help."
     "She's right, dad. Carol's great but I think I'd feel a lot better if mom was with me and I'm sure Carol needs the help too. Besides, I'm sure Neil will be more than happy to help with the birthing classes."
     "That's true. I did take a semester of it my first year at college. I don't mind helping my favorite stepdaughter at all."
     "Thanks, Neil. I appreciate it."
     "Guys, I've kinda got a full sleigh here!" Santa said, getting exasperated that everyone was agreeing to this plan without talking to him.
     "Wait a minute, Scott. Let's take a feelings inventory." Everyone in the room, save for Scott, took a deep breath. "Let's look at what you're doing here from a fatherly standpoint. Charlie has been to the Pole, Rose lives at the Pole, your new baby is being born at the Pole, as are Rose's twins. If you exclude Lucy from the family, you could scar her for life. And also, by extension her parents who must accompany her on long distance journeys."
     Scott waggled his finger in front of them. "Please, Uncle Scott?" Lucy begged.
     Scott looked at each family member and did what any man in his situation would do...he caved.