Chapter 33

Scott nervously headed toward his seat as the show was about to start. Sitting down, he pulled out the recorder pen. He knew he needed a plan of action if he was to get things back to how they were supposed to be.
    If he could just get the snow globe into Jack's hands, everything would all fall into place.
    Now he just needed to find a way to get that snow globe!
    At that moment, his thoughts were cut short as a curtain dropped on the elf that was playing the piano. The lights turned down low and a loud voice announced the beginning of the show.
    Then a voice began singing:

If you've got romance on your mind

     Rose stepped out from behind the curtain slowly, the spotlight shining on her, making her hair and dress look like they were on fire.

If you'd like to stroll hand in hand
If you wanna cuddle in the moonlight
And whisper, "ain't love grand"

     She paced across the stage, blowing kisses to the crowd. Scott noticed that several men were falling over themselves, each vying for her attention.

If you want someone to buy that sweet talk
You guys all love to spout
Baby, count me out!

     As she paced, the curtain behind over rose, revealing a stage with lights on in the background that made her dress sparkle all the more.

If you wanna dance cheek to cheek
Then go home and talk
All night long

     A bunch of guys tossed flowers and roses her way. She smirked and picked one up, singing:

If you wanna send somebody flowers
And share some stupid song
And if you wanna woman who believes that
You're what her life's all about
Baby, count me out

     She winked at the audience.

I've been there
I've done that
It's nowhere
It's old hat!

     She approached one man who was apparently single, smirking at her. Grinning, she grabbed him by his tie, pulling him close as she added:

Forget those thoughts you're thinking mister
And just regard me as your sister

     She let go of him, pacing again. Some men handed her notes. She grinned as she took them.

If you want to send Valentine's
If you want to write poetry

     She threw a fistful of coins at the men, smirking.

Here's a little change
Go call somebody who doesn't look like me
And if you got plans to fall in love without a shadow of a doubt
Baby, count me out
That's what I said

    The lights in the room dimmed as she made her finalé.

I said baby
Count me out
Hound dog!

    With that, the lights behind her brightened to where only her dress could be seen.
     The audience went wild, begging for an encore. The lights behind her went off and the overhead lights turned back on. She bowed graciously as her fans threw her flowers and praised her.
     The same guy she teased shouted, "I LOVE YOU, MRS. CLAUS!!!"
     "And I love each and every one of you! Merry Christmas to all!"
     With that, she blew a few kisses then turned and left the stage.
     Scott took that as his chance to follow her. The guards stopped him at the door until he showed off his backstage pass.
    One guard knocked on the door. "Yes?" Rose asked.
    "You got a fan, Mrs. Claus."
    "Send him in."
    They opened the door for him and he entered the room. At first, when he stepped in the room, he couldn't find his daughter until her saw her sitting by the fireplace, drinking egg nog out of a wine glass.
     "Dad? I'm surprised you came."
     "Thanks for the pass." He retorted.
     "Well...I thought...if you can all this way, maybe you cared...at least a little."
     "I do. You're my little girl. You always will be." She turned away, settling her eyes on anything but her father. "You were great out there, princess. You sounded like an angel."
    She turned back. "It's been awhile since you called me that." She smiled. "And thanks. Years of choir practice definitely paid off."
    "Just a shame." He said.
    "What?"
    "All this. This can't be what you want, is it?"
    She set her glass down on a side table. "Don't." She warned. "You never cared what I wanted before."
    Scott knew he'd have to tread lightly. He'd messed up in this timeline...royally.
    "I just mean that I've had some Tim to think and I realize I wasn't a good father. But what if I wanna be now? Is it too late?"
     Rose's eyes softened at his words. She stood up from her chair and approached him. "Of course not. You'll always be my dad." She said before hugging him. "It's never too late to make amends."
     "I'm glad to hear it, princess. So... Jack Frost, huh?"
     She smiled sheepishly. "Well...it's just that...he helped me through a lot and he took care of me, y'know? It felt nice to have someone like that in my life."
    "So you're happy?"
    "I am."
    "Really? Cuz far be it from me to judge but you don't exactly look happy."
    Rose grimaced. "It's not because of Jack. It's just...I don't know. I keep feeling like something is off, dad."
    "Off how?"
    "Like this isn't how things should be. I don't know. I feel like I've fallen asleep and I'm dreaming and I know I'm dreaming but I can't wake up."
     "That's because the world, what you see here, it isn't real."
     She raised an eyebrow. "What?"
     "We come from a different world. In that world, I'm Santa Claus, you're my guardian, happily married to Bernard, my Head Elf, and our family...all our family is happier because of all of it."
     "Tell me more."
     So Scott launched into a tale about everything that had happened. Outside the room, they could hear singing from various elves and staff members with piano music in the background.
     "Dad..." Rose said, "what's going on with you? Why do you have these delusions?"
     "They're not delusions." He assured. "Please, Rose, you have to believe me, this world isn't real. Jack wanted my job and he wanted you. You belong to Bernard and I belong with Carol and you and the rest of our family."
     "Wait. Bernard? As in the former Head Elf?"
     "Yes."
     "Dad, he's been in a coma for the past almost 7 years now."
     Scott thought about it. "Did you ever meet him...before that happened?"
     "Well yea. I knew him for like a year before the incident. Why?"
     "Did you ever feel anything when he was around?"
     "Dad, is this all because of Jack because--?"
     "Just humor me. Please."
     "Well sure. I had a crush on him but we never really got a chance to talk or anything. He never had time for me and he was always fighting with Jack. Why?"
     "I know this sounds weird but just listen, ok? Go to wherever he's being kept and visit him. If I'm right, then I'll need you to do me a favor."
     "Dad, I've got a show to do!" Rose said, hearing the crowd calling for her again.
     "Please just do it!"
     "Just two questions. One, what's the favor?" Scott explained the situation. "Ok and two, how will I know if you're right?"
     "You'll know when he wakes up."
     Rose heard the crowd calling for her again. "I'll think about it."
     Then, with that, she rushed off, back to stage for her encore, all the while, wondering if he father was mad or if he indeed had a point.