Chapter 26

Rose started feeling sick again so Santa told her to go ahead and return home while he got Sandman and retrieved Carol's parents. She agreed with the plan, disappearing on the spot.
                            * * * * *
     Jack Frost was doing his idea of "helping" which mainly consisted of bossing the other elves around. Curtis was watching him and the two started to talk when Rose appeared, swaying a bit.
    Cold arms encircled her. "You ok?"
    Rose nodded. "Just nauseous."
    "Here. Come sit down with me." Jack said, leading Rose over to a table and sitting her down. "Hang on a sec. I got something for ya."
     "Ok." She turned to Curtis. "Go back to help the elves. I'm fine."
     "You sure?"
     Rose nodded and Curtis took off for the workshop. Rose turned in her seat to see Jack with two mugs in his hands. "For you." He said, setting one in front of her. "It's specially made."
     Rose gave him a look, quirking an eyebrow. Taking the mug, she cautiously took a sip. "Mmm...this is good." She took another sip.
     "Is your stomach beginning to settle some?"
     "Yes. Thanks."
     "No problem, sweetheart." He took a sip of his own drink. "So where's the bearded wonder? He didn't come back with you?"
     "Oh no. Dad is picking the others up. I left early cuz I wasn't feeling well."
     "I'd say not. How's the pregnancy?"
     Rose raised an eyebrow. "Do you really wanna know or are you just chatting?"
     "I'm genuinely curious." Jack said, a large grin on his face. "Always have been a curious one."
     "Well it's going fine for the most part." Rose said, sighing deeply. "I just wish I could stop feeling so sick."
     "Well I'll keep giving you my special herbal tea until you feel better."
     "Thanks, Jack. I really appreciate this."
     "Hey it's no biggie. I understand. You're not feeling well, things are complicated now. I wouldn't be surprised if either you or the big man went with that escape hatch thingy."
     "No." Rose said. "I can't do it and Dad would never invoke the Escape Clause. It's too big of a risk. Jack, do you realize if he did that, everything would go back to how it was as if he'd never become Santa at all?"
     "What do you mean?"
     "Well," Rose said, her eyes turning gray with thought, "what do you know about the Hall of Snowglobes?"
     "Everybody knows about that."
     "I don't think so." Rose said, quietly, looking off into the distance.
      Jack took her hand. "You ok there?"
      "Jack, we really need to do all we can to help him because I don't want him to invoke the Escape Clause! It would change everything! Could you just imagine what kind of person might become Santa Claus if my dad doesn't?"
      Jack took a deep breath to keep from losing his cool. "It would be bad." He agreed.
      "It would be more than bad." Rose said. "In the Hall of Snowglobes, there's one in particular that is special. Each snow globe belongs to a Santa that has existed since the beginning of Santa. In the center of the room is the one that belongs to my father." She took a deep breath. "So if a Santa is unsatisfied with how his life has turned out, he would take that snowglobe out from the center of the room, hold it in his hand, and say the words "I wish I'd never been Santa at all". Then time would start turning backwards and everything would go back to how it was before Santa became...well, Santa."
     Jack's eyes widened in surprise and excitement. "I see. So if your father did decide he didn't want to be Santa, he would do this and free opening...Santa Claus?"
     Rose's eyes focused on who she was talking to, changing colors. "Well, yea. That's how it works. But dad would never do that. He loves this job and this life too much."
     "Of course he does, Snowflake." Jack agreed again, taking a sip of his drink. Rose's eyes darkened. "You ok?"
     Rose suddenly let her fist fly and Jack was knocked to the ground. He groaned in pain. Rose placed one foot on his chest, glaring down at him.
     "Don't you ever, ever call me that again. The only person who has that right is in a coma right now. I don't love you, Jack, and I never will! So stop trying to trick me!"
     With that, Rose turned on her heel and walked away from the scene she just caused. The elves oohed in surprise and stayed out of her way.
                           * * * * *
     Jack got up and tried to play off what had just happened but, inside, he was angry. He had been so close to making her his!
    He shook his head. It was no matter. He'd find a way to win Rose over. In the meantime, he needed to find a way to get the snow globe and the big man to say the magic words. Then it would all fall into place...