Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Over the next few weeks, if Elijah wasn’t working, he walked with me every morning and every evening. He was always talking, I think to make sure I knew where he was and also to try and bring me out of my shell a bit.

One Wednesday evening, he said, “I have to go away for a little while. I have to go to Quantico to lead the training for the new cadets.”

I actually found myself being a little disappointed. “Oh. That’s good...”

“I can get Ash to walk with you if you’d like. I know he’ll take care of you if I tell him to.”

“No sir, it’s ok. I’ll be ok.”

“You sure?”

“Yes sir. How long will you be gone?”

“A week, maybe a bit longer. When I get back, I’ll cook dinner for you, yeah?”

“You don’t have to do that sir.”

“No, but I want to. I’ll make you some traditional Mexican food. I’ll even call my abuela for some recipes.”

A tiny smile tugged at the corner of my mouth and Eli asked, “Is that a smile I see? It is! A tiny one, but still it’s a start. You should smile more often, sweetheart.”

I thought, ‘There’s not much to smile about, sir.’

“Please don’t do that sweetheart. I want you to smile and be happy. Not always feeling so scared. How can I help you to feel better?”

I dropped my head and whispered, “You can’t; No one can.”

“Has anyone even tried? How do you know no one can help, if no one has tried?”

I bit my lip, fighting the urge to cry and run away. In my mind I was thinking, ‘You’re supposed to be trying, Dani. At least make an effort. Give him something that will get him off your back.’

I managed to control my racing heart enough to whisper, “It doesn’t matter, sir. I’m fine…”

He sighed and looked me deep in the eye, trying to read my expression. He ground out, “You’re clearly not fine, Danica…”

I flew even further away from him, hearing the angry tone in his voice.

He held his hands up in surrender and said, “It’s ok Dani, I’m not going to come near you… Breathe sweetheart. Just breathe with me.”

I shut my eyes briefly and tried to calm down a bit.

He looked at me for a long time before he asked, "What's wrong Dani? What did I do?"

"Nothing, sir. I should go."

"Wait. Can't you just talk to me? Please? Tell me what's going on?"

I shuffled my feet and stared at the scuff marks on the stairs.

"I want to help. I want to make it better, whatever it is. I'll do whatever I can to help you."

"Thank you for the offer, sir, but you can't make it better. There are some things that just can't be fixed. The sooner you realise that, the better off you'll be."

I turned to leave as he said, "I'm not giving up Danica. I will prove to you that I'm serious and I want to help you."

I didn't reply, I just pushed the door open and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Eli's POV)

As I watched Dani leave, I couldn't help but think I had lost my chance. I actually thought she was going to give up some information. I don't know what I did to frighten her because I didn't even go near her. I really don't want to go to Quantico. I don't want to leave her, not after we've actually started to communicate. She's been responding to some of my questions and I think that leaving her now will undo all the work I've done. Maybe I should call her while I'm away, just to keep the communication going. She may find it easier to talk to me if I'm not actually standing in front of her.