Chapter Five

* I've tried to make this chapter longer. There's a couple sections that are in Elijah's POV. Hopefully it isn't confusing. I love writing from Elijah's view point. I just like to be inside his head lol. I know someone's reading this, but I don't know if they are actually enjoying it. Please let me know what you think? Even if it's bad, I want to try to make improvements. :)*

Chapter Five

The guys headed to the Captain’s office and I frantically scanned the room for Elijah. I couldn’t see him anywhere. The elevator lights weren’t moving, so he wasn’t on his way up. My heart was in my throat and I could feel my breathing kick up a notch or two. I tried to count my breathing to calm myself down. All I could think was, “He thought I was rude to him. I didn’t even say goodbye. The only person to show me some kindness and he’s gone…”

I was still in panic mode when the Captain passed my desk and said, “I’m heading out to the hospital Danica. You can go whenever you want to. I’ll see you in the morning. Good work today.”

I absentmindedly nodded and tried desperately to get in control of myself. I don’t know how long I was fighting to gain control, but someone whispered, “Dani?”

My head shot up, “Eli?”

A smiled tugged at the corner of his mouth. “You called me by my name.”

I blushed and dropped my head again. “You have blood on you.”

“One of the team got hit. I had to deal with the hospital and contact his family…”

“Is he…?”

“No, he’s not dead. Just has a nasty shoulder wound. He’ll be fine after he’s patched up and gets some rest. You were worried?”

“Yes sir.” The truth had slipped out before I even knew what was happening.

“I told you I’d be back to finish our conversation.” He eyed me carefully. He could see the fatigue setting in and he wondered how long I’d been awake for. He softly said, “You did great today. I wouldn’t mind having you on all my missions.”

“Thank you sir. It was different.”

“How did you know about the tunnel?” He was just trying to keep me talking. This was the most he’d heard me speak since he met me.

“Blueprints sir. I guessed they would head for Central Park as that has the most escape routes without being noticed.”

“That was a good call. You heading home now?”

“Yes sir.”

“I’ll walk with you. You need to get some sleep, Dani. You look tired.”

I just nodded. I didn’t want to get onto this subject. 

As I headed to the stairwell, Ash said, “Hay Danica, we’re heading to the bar to try to wind down. You wanna join us?”

“No thank you, sir.” I suddenly found my feet very interesting.

They were all now following me down the stairs and a hand grabbed my elbow as they said, “Come on, Danica. I’m sure a girl like you knows how to have a good time...” I yanked my elbow away, while trying to escape. My heart rate immediately picked up and my breathing became ragged. Elijah quickly picked up on what was going on, but he couldn’t get to me quick enough to stop the attack from starting. I was sobbing and trying to breathe at the same time as trying to escape.