Chapter Ten

I'm so sorry it's been so long guys. I've been really ill, and I couldn't even look at a computer screen. Anyone ever heard of Lyme Disease? Well, that's what I have. Not a nice thing, trust me. Watch out for ticks guys, nasty little critters. Anyway, here's the next chapter. I'm currently working on the next chapter, so hopefully it'll be up by the weekend. Here you go :-)

Chapter Ten

I heard Eli's smile as he said, “Hey sweetheart, how are you doing?”

“I'm ok, sir. You?”

“Better, now I've heard your voice. So, how was work? I tried calling earlier, but there was no answer.”

“It was busy. Lots of files to get through. How's the training?”

“Good. Most of the recruits are doing well. There's a guy I'd like on our team instead of losing him to the FBI, but I guess that's the way life goes.”

I listen to him talk about the training process and how difficult it is and then I heard him say, “Dani? You still with me?”

“Yes sir.”

“I thought I'd bored you so much, you'd fallen asleep.”

“Oh, no sir. I was just listening. It sounds like a hard program to get through.”

“It is, but they need to be good at their job. All of this training needs to become second nature to them. Anyway, I need to let you go so you can try to sleep. I'll see you on Wednesday, ok?”

“Yes sir. Goodnight.”

After I hung up, I made myself some cereal and grabbed a shower before trying to catch some sleep.

I really didn't sleep well, and it must have shown on my face when I got into work because Ash and the Captain noticed it. They both eyed me suspiciously, but made no comment. As I was inputting data into my computer, someone sat on the edge of my desk. I squealed, jumped and pushed my chair back before thinking, 'I wish they wouldn't keep doing that.' I looked up and saw Cain sitting there smiling at me.

He shrugged and said, “Didn't mean to scare you..... woah, you look like a train wreck.... Sorry, no offense or anything.”

He smiled sheepishly, like he'd just realised what he'd said. I managed to whisper, “It's ok. I'll let the Captain know you're here.”

I picked up my phone and dialled the Captain. “Sir, Private Anderson is here to see you..... Yes sir.”

I put the phone down and say, “You can go in sir.”

“Thanks Danica. You really should take some leave or something. I think they're working you too hard up here.”

“I'm fine, sir. Thank you.”

“Wish me luck, Danica. I'm hoping to be cleared for duty today.”

“Good luck, sir.”

He shot me a wink and a smile before he heading into the Captain's office.

I don't know how long it was after Cain left, but the next thing I knew, he said, “You must be a lucky charm...”

I squeaked, jumped and dropped the papers I was holding all over my desk and the floor.

He quickly said, “Sorry, I scared you again. Let me get those for you...”

“No! Er, I mean, no thank you, sir. I have to... put them back in order.”