Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I feel a sense of Déjà vu. I'm sitting on the bed, staring at the door again. This time I know Eli is on the other side. I heard him slide down the wall. I can't believe I actually told him all of that. I do feel a slight sense of relief, that I don't have to hide it anymore, that maybe he understands a little better why I am the way I am. I still can't believe I did it. I've never told a soul what happened to me. It's too shameful and embarrassing. I mean, how do you say something like that? I am disgusting; I am damaged and broken, yet Eli didn't once look at me like he was disgusted, repulsed or ashamed of me. Is he really that different to everyone else? I do feel a little calmer when he is around. Maybe he is different.

I woke up twice from nightmares, and Eli was at my door both times. When I looked at the clock, I noticed it was just past 1pm. I'd slept a couple hours before having a nightmare. Eli must have noticed a strange look cross my features, because he asked, “What?”

“I haven't had that much sleep in a long time...”

“Really? Wow. I think last night was good for you, even if you don't think so right now.”

I took a look at him and really take in his appearance. He looks tired, stressed and worried. I drop my head and whisper, “I'm sorry, sir.”

“Sorry? What for?”

“For keeping you awake and for being a burden...”

“You're not a burden. Don't you ever think that. And I'd rather stay awake with you than sleep. I'm thankful that you chose to trust me, Danica. Thank you.”

I just shuffled my feet, not really knowing what to say or do. Eventually Eli broke the silence, “I need to go home to get showered and changed. I'll pop in and speak to the Captain...”

I gasp, “The Captain! I didn't call in! He's going to be so angry...”

“I spoke to him last night. I had to tell him what happened. He told me to keep him updated. So I'll do that after I've been home, ok?”

“Yes sir.”

“Ok. I'll be back after that. I'll make lunch.”

“You don't have to, sir.”

“But I want to. I said I'd take care of you and that's what I intend to do. You should try to rest Dani. I'll be back in an hour or so. Ok?”

“Yes sir.”

After Eli left, I took a really long shower and then curled up with a book on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Eli's POV)

My head feels a bit clearer after a long, hot shower. I take a deep breath as I enter the precinct. None of the guys know I came back last night, so they all greet me like they've really missed me.

“Hey Cain, the Cap said you've been cleared for duty. I'm glad you're back. How you feeling?”

“Good, thanks. Got my trigger hand back in use.”

I chuckle, “Good to know. I'm not going to ask if there's a double meaning in that; I know there must be.”

He laughs and Ash appears. “Hey Eli. Dirty jokes going around?”

“What makes you ask that?”

“Cain's laughing...”

I smile, “Fair point. Is the Captain in his office?”