Chapter Ninety-Four

Chapter Ninety-Four

Dani

I'm hugging the wall, trying to make myself as small and insignificant as possible. At least I'm not completely naked now. The coat doesn't cover me totally, but it's better than just the underwear I was wearing. I slowly shuffle out of the alley and attempt to find somewhere to hide. The drugs are still in my system and my judgement is clouded. Although, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe now is the best time to find a hostel or something, I can pretend I'm sick. That wouldn't be hard to fake right now.

As I approach the mouth of the alley, I take a look at my surroundings. I can see a metal snake. There are screams and lots of lights. I can smell many different types of food, but the smells that are the strongest, are Russian foods. They make me long for my momma but they also make me acutely aware that Russians are here somewhere. I need to get as far away from here as possible, to reduce the risk of someone finding me. Probably half of the Russian population of New York have visited that awful place, so someone will recognize me.

My stomach growls at all the smells of food and I realize how hungry I actually am. I can't worry about that right now, I need to get away. Under the cover of darkness, I walk for what feels like miles. I keep walking long after the screams and the smell of Russian food have faded. New York hasn't changed a great deal since I was a child. People are still so wrapped up in themselves to notice what's going on around them. I'm thankful for this, because no one seems to even look at the strange, beat up girl in the trench coat. Just when I think I can't walk anymore, I stumble upon a small hostel type house. I can see the front desk through a small window and the lady behind the desk shoots me a smile.

I take a deep breath and grasp the handle of the door, trying to think of a way to give an explanation.

The lady takes a long look at me before saying, “Oh my dear! You must be freezing. What are you doing out there with no shoes on?”

I start to speak in Russian but then I remember I have to speak English.

I was thrown out...”

You have nothing with you?”

I shake my head and stare at the ground.

Well, we can't have that. I have a daughter around your age. Let's see if we can find you something to wear. You can stay here until you get back on your feet.”

As kind as she may be, I can't accept that offer. Who knows what she wants in return.

I quietly say, “Oh no, ma'am. I can't do that.”

I'm not going to ask what you're running from, dear, but I know when a young girl is in trouble. I won't turn you out onto the street, knowing you're in some kind of trouble. I'll give you a room at the back and I won't trouble you. Once you're back on your feet, then you can find some way to repay me. Ok?”

Something inside of me knows she's right and that she's telling me the truth. I don't know how I know and I didn't even think it was possible to believe someone again.

I nod slightly, as a single tear slips down my cheek. I whisper, “Thank you, ma'am. I will repay you for everything.”

I know you will, dear. You seem like a good girl. We'll need to work on your accent if you want to blend in a bit better. There's a television in the room, so you can watch some shows to work on that. My name is Beth. What should I call you?”