Chapter Twenty-three

I tossed and turned most of the night, not really being able to sleep. I didn't feel so uncomfortable with Eli being in the room and I think that's what kept me awake more than anything. I must have drifted off to sleep again at some point because I woke up with a start with my arms and legs flailing everywhere. My dreams are so real that I actually fell like I'm trying to fight someone off. I see and hear Eli jump off the chair and I freeze, trying to get my bearings. Eli must see me trembling because he attempts to calm me down. In a way it works. I do feel more relaxed and safe knowing that he's here. It just takes a little while to calm my body and mind after waking up from a nightmare. When I've managed to steady myself, Eli says, “You slept for 3 hours straight. You did spend a while tossing and turning, but you got 3 solid hours. That's good, right?”

I'm sure I looked shocked because I certainly feel it. “Yes sir, that's good. I haven't done that in a long time.... Thank you.”

“I didn't do anything.”

“You must have. That's never happened. I can't explain it, but whatever it is, it worked.”

“Maybe you just need to feel safe. You know I won't let anything happen to you, right?”

I sigh and whisper, “Deep in my heart I do. But my head can't trust that. That needs some convincing.”

He smiles and says, “I'll get to working on that then.”

I stand up and simply say, “Ok.”

“You want breakfast?”

“I can make it. You can get dressed up first if you'd like.”

“Ok. You mind if I take a shower?”

“No sir.”

“Thanks. I won't be long.”

“Take as long as you want.”

As Eli heads for the bathroom, I can't help but mentally scold myself. I'm letting him take a shower now?! He may as well live here at the rate we're going. Out of habit I'm frightened; he's going to be naked in the shower, in my house. That thought scares me, because of all the things that could possibly happen. I try to be brave and busy myself with making breakfast. I'm supposed to be trying. I'm supposed to be trusting Eli, so that means dealing with the uncomfortable things.

By the time Eli steps into the kitchen, I've cooked up bacon, eggs, pancakes and sausages. I don't hear Eli approach, I just hear him say, “Something smells good...”

I drop the plates I'm holding and they land on the floor in a million pieces. I gasp and fly away from Eli, apologizing profusely. My hands are shaking and my instincts kick in as I prepare myself for a beating. Eli notices notices my change and I assume he realizes my thoughts go that way because he slowly walks over to me and says, “Hey, hey. It's ok baby. It's just a couple of plates. They can be replaced, don't worry about it. I'm not going to hurt you....”

He reaches for my hands and I flinch as he holds them. I flinch, but I don't snatch them away like I would have done previously. I don't know if that's out of fear or if it's because I trust Eli more. Eli just holds my hands reassuringly and assures me that it's ok and I shouldn't worry about it.

When I've sufficiently calmed down, we sit down to eat and Eli apologizes for scaring me.

“It's not your fault. I don't mean to be so jumpy.”

“I can't blame you for being jumpy. Life hasn't exactly been kind to you.”

We're silent for a little while and then he says, “Hey Dani? What are you going to do if you don't come back to work?”

I shrug, “No idea.”

“Well, you're too talented to let it go to waste. You need to do something you're good at and that you enjoy. Ever thought of finding holes in our systems?”

I just look at him, trying to figure out if he's fishing or if it's just an idea that's popped into his head. I can't tell, which makes me worry but also it leads me to wonder about his interrogation skills. He's a hard man to read, especially when he doesn't want you to know what he's thinking. He must be an excellent interrogator. I suddenly blurt out, “Eli? What did you do before you joined the SWAT team?”

He chuckles and it startles me. “You go on a journey in your head and then you come up with that? That was so random. Sometimes I seriously wonder what goes on in that genius brain of yours. To answer your question, I was in the Rangers but you knew that. Then I did a spot as a sniper and then the Cap approached me about starting up my own team. Why do you ask?”

I mumble, “Just wondered.”

“What about you?”

I shoot him a look that basically said, 'Are you for freakin' real?'

He threw up his hands defensively and said, “I meant after that. Geez, I'm not that cold hearted. At least I don't think I am.”

“You're not. Is that your question?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

I thought for a few seconds and then said, “I did computer stuff. All online so I didn't have to have contact with people.”

“That's not bad. You didn't want to answer before, but that's not bad. Actually, what kind of computer stuff?”

I sigh and contemplate telling him that's actually two questions when he says, “That's two questions, so I'm breaking the rules. Don't answer that in case I lose a question tomorrow.”

He shoots me a wink and a smile and asks, “What did you put in these pancakes? They are amazing.”

“They're cinnamon oat pancakes. My momma learned to make them when she first moved here. We weren't allowed to leave the house without having them for breakfast.”

“That's sweet. It sounds like she loved you very much.”

“Yeah, she was an amazing momma.”

Eli senses that I need a subject change, so he asks, “What are we doing today?”

I shrug.

“Would you like to go out somewhere?”

I feel like a horrified look crosses my features, so he quickly says, “We can just drive around the city if you're like. I can take you to Coney Island if you want. It shouldn't be too busy.”

“I've never been to Coney Island.”

“You'll love it, I'm sure. What do you say? I think you need to get out of the house for a bit.”

I think for a minute or so and then I ask, “You won't let anything happen to me, will you?”

“No ma'am, I promise I won't. If it's busy then we can just stay in the car, is that ok with you?”

“Yes sir... I mean, yes. Thank you.”

“It's set to be quite warm today so you might want to dress accordingly.”

I don't answer. I don't really know what to say to that so I just say nothing. By the time I return from getting ready, Eli has cleared up and done the dishes. He gives me a look that I can't quite read as he puts his gun in it's holster, puts his backup piece in his boot and puts his badge over his neck.

“Ready?”

“Yes sir.”

He grabs his keys and we head out to his car.

A/N: I apologise if it's short. I wanted to get something up in case I can't upload tomorrow. I should have the next chapter up in a few days. I hope you enjoyed it :)