Chapter-54

She was busy wiping her nose and her eyes which never seemed to stop flowing. Her breathing was slightly ragged as she was groaning her displeasure, then screaming like a child which will then lead her to be flushed red for acting the way she was throughout the movie they’ve watched.
She was more than the lead protagonist in the movie when her grandmother died and then when the male lead left her on her own she was mad furious at him then when this sequence came when Moana (the protagonist) restored the heart of another fictionally animated character, Iris was already sporting a swollen eye. Okay! no denying the music was good but the fact that he had to watch it over more than 40 times in a row was too much for him. This movie was the most he has ever watched and the only movie he had the privilege to sit through the end without any interference since he got into the underground. There was no time for him to spare to do any such thing or he would have never got where he was today but he was not and will never regret a single choice he made in the past. He was sure he can recite any phrase including the songs from the movie without fail if needed, yet he knew deep down inside there was more time to come when he’ll be watching this particular animated piece with her. He made sure to have the ice-cubes prepared in the freezer.
Iris was tired and very pregnant and she could feel how heavy her eyes felt now that she had cried for over than an hour. She was mad at herself for always torturing Ricardo through this but she did not and will never want to sit for any movie or entertainment stuff with him around. She was always having this argument in her own mind whether to do as she want and be in a better mood or to be considerate enough and go through the day grumpy and moody.
“I’m worried for how our child be after...” She complained when he brought the bowl of ice and the towels for her. There were tonnes of things she could do in-order to get rid of her swollen eyes but she only wanted the ice for her eyes and yet again he was troubled with her comfort, which he complied to eagerly and happily.
“Are you in discomfort?” He asked worried and sat by her side making her lean onto him.
“I’ve read this that how a mother acts during her pregnancy effect’s the child’s characteristic traits after growing and I’m not being very pleasing to myself either and I am worried, what if he or she will be as moody as I am now? I mean childish is what every child is but I don’t want them to grow rude.”
Ricardo’s hand rubbing on her belly halted and he brought her hand to meet his lips.
“That will never happen with you around. They’ll be extremely loveable just as you and if they go wrong somewhere or the other you’ll always be there to guide them to the right path (she turned and met his eyes with a confused look) and I will always be there by your side but I can’t promise to be the perfect father if you won’t guide me to be one.”
Her stare eased after he mentioned that he was always going to be there with her and for their child. For a mere second she almost felt her heart dropped when he mention their child’s future without counting himself in. It was the only thing she was never willing to imagine herself going through.
“We will be able to it, won’t we?”
He kissed her head she was being worried for nothing but he was going to bet his life on trying to be better person for his family’s sake and he was glad things were already in progress.
When Iris found herself in bed all alone she looked for Ricardo but he was nowhere around her and then she ran around with her hand on her belly looking for Ricardo but he was nowhere to be seen. Did he leave for work already? Maybe something urgent came up that he could not wait for her to wake from her sleep. Suddenly there was this discomfort in her belly and when she tried to put her hand on it to feel what was going on in her, her hand was grabbed by another and pushed it away. There was this force so strong it made impossible for her to put her hand on her belly, she struggled and tried to free her hand but it was an impossibly tight grip then all of a sudden her hand was set free but she herself refused to ease the discomfort in her belly. She just couldn’t bring herself to put her hand on her belly, she had the privilege to do so but she just won’t. This whole situation was ominous and she was suffocated. Then the only air that supported her to breath and kept her on her feet gave away and her cries finally made through her lips. She was screaming in despair.
Ricardo quickly reached for Iris who was screaming and crying in her sleep. She was having a nightmare so he gently held her in his arms and tried to speak her awake. It was never wise to be loud while speaking to a person in sleep. He cooed sweet comforting words to comfort her and after some moment when she finally gained her sense and looked at him with fear in her eyes which changed into relieved sight.
She hugged him tight and inhaled in his scent and it eased her mind.  It was just a bad dream, just a bad dream. She was safe and so was their baby. Everything was alright. Ricardo was here he will protect them from all harm he will, won’t he?
Ricardo sat with her, now calm body in his arms. She did not say a word and rather just kept on feeling him as if she was making sure he was actually there and it was no dream of her's again. He did not know what she dreamt of and it was a terrible idea to ask her just what it was after she had calmed down. Sleep never came to him after that as his mind was often wandering off with the fear that she might just have the same dream it was. It was weird for this was not the first time he was witnessing such a scenario, as Selena has also been there and she was often screaming in her sleep after the years of her missing but this time around it made him more on his toes than it ever did. It was not only because of the fact that Iris was his wife and life but there was this unsettling feeling in him which was causing him to have all these weird aura in and around him. He rarely felt like this and whenever he did it was never in vain.
Iris had a huge plate of fruit slices with some cream crackers and some syrup. She reached for the green chillies, chopped them and added it to her fruit bowl then went in the pink salt and her mouth watered. It looked amazingly mouth-watering without a second wasted she popped in a spoonful of it into her mouth then she was rushing towards the refrigerator to get water. That was too spicy but it was just what she wanted it helped her get rid of the light-head ness. She laughed at her own foodie experiment , which failed yet again and laughed at her own stupidly creative ideas. Ricardo was always too cautious of her food choices and often questioned her new recipes lately, making sure she will not consume those so here she was after making sure Ricardo was in his study.  Iris peeped in from the slightly ajar door and there he was ever so tiredly handsome. He looked as if he had been given the privilege of a decent sleep all thanks to her.
Ricardo felt her eyes on her and he put his work down and aside on the table. She straightened herself as she saw him walk to her. There was this very beautiful smile on him. He pulled her in his arms kissing her head and she kissed her shirted chest too.
“We’re going out for dinner.” She claimed and he smiled, he loved how she was open with him.
“Not that I’m going against your wishes but we don’t want you to be tired.” She knew he will say just that.
“Tired me is better than a cranky and crying me but everything is fine by Me.” She said and was walking away when he pulled her to him. She smiled knowing he gave in and she will have her way so they were dining out tonight.
“Let me get changed.”
“I am the only man totally whipped and the happiest.”
“Happy parents, happy child.”
He agreed with her. If she was happy he and their child were too. He made sure they had the whole diner to themselves; he did not want any disturbance or distraction from anything.
They had the diner to themselves so there goes her plan to enjoy the company of strangers but she was glad that his sunken mood was lifted a bit and it was easier to have the company of his eased self. The air was comfortably warm and the mild aroma of the incense was soothing to the body and mind too. The manager was personally attending to them and the food was amazing too. Just how she wanted her meal to be spicy and salty with a tinge of citrusy flavour. There was no wine for her so she tossed her fruit punch with his red wine. She was eagerly waiting for the desert when there was this very cold air she felt brush her by ,making all her senses high on alert and she felt the stare too so she without alerting Ricardo she glanced around but there was nothing off, everything seemed to be fine. She scratched her neck and tried to get her concentration back to their dinner and there was Ricardo looking ever so lovingly at her. She felt complete it was just in the way he made her feel, loved and like his world.
“You know I don’t mind another serving of this tasty desert.” she said eyeing is desert and he pushed it towards her.
“It’d be my pleasure to see my desert eat hers.” Iris was quick to reach and smack his mouth making him laugh at her attempt to shut him. She was blushing crimson a colour he loved a lot on her.
“You need to watch your words or we’d be having a child with a mouth of a sailor.” Iris scolded with a smile on her face, too much for being serious.
Iris stumbled into the kitchen to get her frozen yogurt when she saw the brown envelope on the counter between the fruits which she will be having for breakfast in the morning. She picked it but it was unaddressed, maybe it was Ria’s (the new helper) she might have forgotten it or was it left behind for her. Putting her yogurt down she unsealed it and slipping the content out she unfolded the paper under which another smaller envelope was tucked in. The letter was simply printed in a Calibri font.

Dearest Iris.
YOUR SILENT CORPORATION IS SARAH’S TICKET TO LIVING LONGER.
P.S DEAR RICARDO’S SAFETY DEPENDS ON HIS UNAWARENESS.
She was quick to sit herself on the stool by the counter. Her heart raced and she was dizzy. Who was playing this trick on her? This is just a dream, a very bad one too. Sarah is still in the custody and she was fine. Ricardo told her so he had been there recently.
She crumbled the paper in her hand and threw it in the bin and was about to put the other envelope in the bin too but curiosity had the best of her and her hands trembled as her fear was stricken on her face when she saw the picture that she held in her hand. She covered her mouth with her other hand trying to keep her cries away as she heard footsteps approaching her. She was quick to reach for the lighter, lighting the photographs she put it in the same bin. Wiping her tears from her cheeks she cleared her throat trying to erase the coarse voice she had due to fear. making sure the papers were burnt she poured some water on it to cease the fire completely but there was no way she can get rid of the odour the burning of papers caused so she simply acted along as if she intentionally did what she did.
The moment Ricardo stepped in she turned around with the bucket of ice-cream and some crackers in her hands. A smile too convincing on her face she walked into his arm and leaded him back to their room. Cold was not only the bucket of ice-cream but her mind and heart too, with fear.