Chapter-7

It was past dinner time but Ricardo was still not back and she was stuck in the apartment as she was not allowed to take step outside until he was back and that was supposed to be 3 hours ago. He told her he'd be out at the most for 1 and a half but it has been 5 hours since he left her. Not that she was dying to see him but being stuck in here without nothing to do was killing her. She was never used to staying idly and there was nothing for her to do here since she was ever so kindly ordered by the Mrs-Helen that they were ordered to not let her lend a finger in the household chores and she was never used to sleeping in the evenings. Her job as an assistant editor never allowed her the pleasure for she was often updated about all that the other staffs were working on and lastly bringing it to her for the final reviews before the editor (Juan) gave it a clear sign.

An hour ago she was told that she was given the following week off as she was to go leave for Alaska with Juan for the war veteran who was working with them was down there and was not keeping in good health. Given to his old age he was directed by his medical advisors, he was not to indulge himself in any simple chores let alone to travel all the way here to New York. She was not originally supposed to go there with Juan or any other but the interns were assigned to cover some event and so Juan suggested her, and was quickly approved by the higher up for Juan was personally looking into this particular documentary project. He had asked her if she will be up for it and she instantly agreed as this was the only way she can get away and clear her mind that was filled with everything regarding Ricardo and she needed a break from him.

It was past 10 p.m. when he returned he looked ever so intimidating and tired. The instant he saw her all his weariness faded. He let out a relieved sigh; coming to their bed where she was working on her laptop he kissed her forehead.

"I missed you." Kissed her lips and mumbled an 'I'm sorry for being late.' She simply nodded not wanting to take a chance to his calm demeanour change. She needed him as calm as it was possible for him to break the news of her trip as there was this voice telling her he will not let her but she was not going to let this opportunity slip off her fingers. He closed and moved her laptop away thank goodness she was done with her important mails and was just briefing herself on the documentary, he pulled her in his arms and on his lap. Moving her hair away from her face he kissed her cheeks and it was travelling down to her neck when her hand reached out and took hold of his face in her palm stopping him from moving any further. He smiled when their eyes met.

"Did you have your dinner?" she asked him concerned for him. It was an humanly act and not because she cared for him in any special way, she told herself. He pecked her lips "I'm not hungry."

"Do you want me to fix dinner for you?"

"I will survive." She nodded not wanting to pry more and spoil his mood. In this short period of them being together she learned that the man she was married to was a very unpredictable man. The way he barks his order on the phone made her felt he would knife whoever was on the other line and right after that he turned to all perfect gentleman.

"I'm leaving for Alaska next Tuesday for work." the calm look faded from his face and the blank expression he sported made her nervous.

"It is work related and I will be back a.s.a.p."

"Who else is going with you?" he asked trying to sound all calm but the roughness in his voice gave away his true feelings.

"Juan. Actually I am the one accompanying him and not the other way around."

"No." what did he mean by no.

"No for what?"

"No for you are not going." She pushed away from and look at him in disbelieve.