Chapter 18

"Wait. You did what?" Rose asked.
     "I went on a date with Carol Newman."
     "And?"
     "It went great. She really likes me!"
     "Well that's good then." Rose said until she noticed the look on her father's face. "What happened?"
     Scott grimaced and wrung his hands nervously. "I may have told her that I'm Santa."
      "YOU DID WHAT?!"
      "And she might think I was making fun of her."
     Rose groaned. "Dad, you shouldn't have done that."
     She took a deep breath then went into the closet to put on a coat. "Where are you going?"
    "Damage control, dad. I'll be back."
    With that, she ran out the door.
                             * * * * *
    Carol Newman was very surprised to see Rose Calvin at her door. "Rose! What are you doing here?"
    "Can we talk?" Rose asked, looking tired and sad.
    As much as Carol had her issues with the young woman, and was angry with her father, she looked so upset that Carol decided to hear her out.
    "Sure. C'mon in."
    Rose followed Carol into the house. They sat down and Rose sipped at a mug of hot chocolate. "I heard about what happened with my dad."
    Carol sighed. "I honestly don't want to talk about it."
    "This is important. Please. What happened?"
    Carol looked up with tears in her eyes. "He hurt me. He tried to tell me that he is Santa Claus."
    She looked up to find that Rose didn't look the slightest bit shocked. "Look. I know you don't know me very well, Ms. Newman. But I know my dad and I can tell you that he is, without a doubt, telling you the truth."
    Carol looked surprised. "Oh, Rose! Not you too! You cannot honestly believe that your father is Santa Claus!"
     "Regardless of that, I have one question for you. Do you love my dad?"
     "That's not--"
     "Do you?" Carol paused, thinking. "Well, if you do, don't let something like this get between the two of you. You both deserve happiness."
     "Rose, I can't trust him."
     Rose stood up, walked away, then walked back to the couch. "He loves you! To let him for something so trivial is selfish! Because of you, his heart is broken and he may just lose everything! Because of you, lives will be ruined!"
     With that, she spun on her heel and walked away. Twisting the vial on her necklace and calling Bernard's name, she was disappointed when he didn't show after several moments. Maybe he was moving on, knowing their situation was useless? Or maybe he was just busy?
     Taking a deep breath of the cold air, Rose started back towards home.
                            * * * * *
     Meanwhile, things at the Pole were quickly going downhill. After Toy Rose explained to Toy Santa what Bernard had done, Toy Santa got angry. He didn't say anything, but he glared at Bernard before disappearing for the rest of the day and night afterwards.
     Toy Santa and Toy Rose sat in their chambers. "That evil little elf must pay!" Toy Santa said, angrily.
     "Agreed." Toy Rose said. "And we have to make sure the elves follow our demands."
     "Would they dare to say no to giving those naughty children coal?! How dare they?!"
     "Maybe they just need a little..... persuasion." Toy Rose stated.
     Toy Santa grinned evilly. "What did you have in mind?"
                            * * * * *
     Later that evening, Rose came home to find Scott and Charlie arguing. "On top of everything else, you're going out with Principal Newman?"
     "It doesn't matter. I'm outta time anyway."
     "Who cares anymore?" Charlie rushed off.
     Rose walked in. "What happened?"
     "I can't comfort him, pumpkin. I've failed at everything: being Santa, being a father, finding a wife, taking care of those I love the most...."
     "It's ok, dad. Did you say you were out of magic?"
     "It's at zero. Yet another thing I failed at."
     "Just calm down, dad. Go to bed. We'll figure this out."
     Scott nodded, kissing Rose's head before walking to his bedroom. Rose took a deep breath. If anyone was a failure, it was her. She was the one who didn't tell Dad how bad things had gotten with Charlie. She was the one who couldn't keep Charlie under control. She was the one who couldn't control her own anger. And she was the one who took her anger out on the people she loved most.
     Rose checked on Charlie who was huddled up in his bed, looking mad. Shaking her head, she made her way to her own bed. It was all over. They'd just have to get used to the fact the best thing that had happened to them all was over....
                          * * * * *
     When the next morning came and still no word from Bernard, Rose realized just how bleak things were. She needed to figure something out to save her father. Luckily for her, something was about to happen...
                          * * * * *
     As morning came to the Pole, Toy Santa appeared at the top of the stairs, Toy Rose beside him. He spoke into a microphone, explaining that no more toys were to be made. Instead, there would be only coal.
     "Just to make sure the goal happens." Toy Rose handed Toy Santa an air horn. "I hate to toot my own horn." He then blew the horn. At that moment, the doors swung open and a legion of toy soldiers came marching out the doors. "I was up late last night.  I couldn't sleep. Milk wouldn't do it, cocoa was too sweet so I decided to make an army of toy soldiers." Toy Rose cleared her throat. "Of course, my little princess here came up with the idea first. They don't have a sense of humor like us so I would do what they ask you. Which is pretty much what I'm going to tell you!"
     Bernard came rushing into the workshop. "DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! HE'S NOT THE REAL SANTA! HE HAS A RUBBER FACE AND A PLASTIC TUSHIE! THEY BOTH ARE JUST TOYS! DON'T LET THEM RUIN CHRISTMAS!"
      With that, a couple of toy soldiers grabbed Bernard. Toy Rose walked down the stairs slowly and over to him. "This is on you, B. You should've loved me and not cheated with that other woman."
     "You're the other woman." Bernard said.
     "No I'm not!" She stamped her foot. "And until you realize it, I'm ordering you be put under house arrest!"
     With that, Bernard was dragged away.