1.9

The big day was just around the corner, and I couldn't be more peaceful. I went to visit Kit a couple times since the engagement and told her all about the wedding plans. Of course she's my maid of honor.

I'd continued going to my NA meetings, and Jim even joined a couple times. After each meeting, we'd sometimes admit to each other that we'd secretly wished we'd run into Pedro or Mickey there.

We were disappointed each time.

Until one Wednesday night.

It was like every other time. Jim and I pulled into the parking lot and got out. We walked together and continued the lyrics to the song that was just on the radio. He wrapped his arm around me and opened the door for us.

We were laughing on our way inside and suddenly I heard a familiar laugh. And that's when I saw the little man.

I didn't recognize him at first, because he was missing his old black fedora. His hair was neatly gelled, his skin was a healthy dark olive, and a denim jacket replaced his old black blazer.

I nudged Jim with my elbow and nodded across the room.

Though I had no way of checking, I was sure Jim's heart stopped beating for at least a second. He froze mid "what?" and stared at our old friend.

He didn't say anything but walked away from me slowly and unsure. He stopped behind Pedro and placed his hand on Pedro's shoulder.

Pedro turned and was stunned to see Jim too. They wrapped each other in a tight embrace with tears in their eyes but were too tough to let them fall.

I walked up behind them in time for Pedro to open his eyes and see me. He let out a laugh and reached for me. "oh my God, I can't believe you're here." he whispered to us. I couldn't help but well up with tears. For all I knew, Pedro was dead.

"How did you-"
"What are you-"
"How have you-"

We all laughed at the awkwardness. Pedro went first.

"What are you guys doing here? Together!" he laughed with a bright smile. He'd gotten his teeth fixed. And his face was much older than it should've been. All of ours were.

Jim gave me a knowing look and started; "well, we reconnected a while ago. And now-" I held up my hand to show the engagement ring.

Pedro's eyes nearly shot out of his head at the ring. He let out a joyful laugh and took my hand in his to further examine it. "oh my God that's amazing you guys!" he hugged us again.

"What about you, man?" Jim asked eagerly. Pedro scratched the back of his neck. "well, after I had that stint in jail after the candy store, I went cold turkey. Had one relapse, but since then I've been a clean man. I worked my way up at a venue- you know concerts, weddings, banquets, shit like that. I was a janitor at first, but I worked my way up and now I'm managing the joint!" he smiled.

I shook my head in disbelief. The basketball manager to the venue manager. "what venue?" I asked. He smiled and said "oh, you know. Gotham Hall." he spoke nonchalantly but it was a huge deal!

"Gotham Hall? That place is insane! Wow Pedro, congratulations!" Jim said and shook Pedros hand.

"I'm so proud of you guys." Pedro spoke quietly. His brown eyes shined and crinkled with his smile.

My heart swelled with warmth.

Five years ago, I never would have guessed we'd even be alive. I didn't even care to think about it. But now, everything was different.

We went through the meeting as planned, we all talked about our struggles and our victories. A new guy got his one week chip, and another woman got her ten year chip. It was a wonder to see; new and old celebrating the same day for different reasons.

Pedro and Jim were constantly talking and laughing and catching up. I was so proud of Pedro. All this time I spent wishing he was okay, at least having a place to sleep protected from the cold Manhattan nights.

He had just bought his own apartment a few months ago.

After the meeting was over and we parted ways with Pedro (after exchanging information of course), Jim and I headed to the car in a comfortable silence.

He let out a sigh and pulled me close, kissing the top of my head in the process. I turned to him and smiled. He didn't notice me, but he had a quiet smile hung on his lips.

And for the first time ever, I thought to myself: "I love my life."