0.3

It had been a couple days since I'd locked eyes with the boy on my fire escape. And for some weird reason I couldn't get him out of my head.

I replayed the moment so many times in my mind, analyzing every part of his face just wanting to figure out what was going through his mind at that exact moment. Maybe I was just building it up in my mind.

So far I'd gotten a job at the convenience store, made some cash, met a couple people. My boss was Ernie Wilson, a dark man with grey curls and a beard, who owned the store. He was quiet and kept to himself. He never said much, but he always had a slushee in his hand. He was taping a 'Help Wanted' sign on the door as I was about to enter. "Oh, how do I apply?" I asked. He looked at me and without saying anything, tore the paper in two. "You're hired." he said, pulling the door open for me.

He gave me the run down of responsibilities and honestly it took 30 minutes to learn the routine of every day. I started the very next day.

Currently, I sat behind the counter reading the newspaper. The place was really laid back. But I had to keep track of the "magic" button that called the police if someone tried to hold us up.

That's the only scary part.

As I made my way to the obituaries on the back of the paper, I heard the door ding a couple times.

"Hi, how are you today?" I mumbled as I folded the paper.

I didn't get a response, the boys were too busy to notice. Then my heart stopped.

"Can you believe that shit?" One of them said between laughing and catching their breath.

"Pedro, I can't believe you threw up on that guy!" Another yelled.

"Did you see it running down the side of his face? Woof!" I heard a familiar voice say.

"Cmon guys, Swiftys gonna be pissed if we're late again."

"Yeah, yeah, we know, Jim." The obnoxious one commented.

Jim? I thought his name was Carroll.

Jim Carroll?

"We all know the great Jim Carroll couldn't ever get in trouble with Swifty."

Yep, Jim Carroll.

As the boys approached the counter my heart thumped harder. Fuck.

Jim was in the very back of the group of boys still deciding on chips or jerky.

"Can I get a pack of reds?" The big one asked. He had a rich accent and giant arms.

I raised an eyebrow at him and grabbed the pack under the counter. "There's no way you're old enough for these." I held them up.

He cracked a smile and his friends fell silent. I felt Jim's eyes on me. I tried to keep my face from glowing red. "I'm old enough, sweetheart." He whispered and laid the bills on the counter.

I did my best to keep my poker face, though I did crack a small smile. "Whatever you say, kid." I slid the pack to him and he accepted it. I kept his change though.

I rang up the smallest one and the other big one and they headed out the door. That meant it was only Jim and me.

I gulped and wouldn't meet his eyes. We were silent for a bit as I typed in the prices into the register. Did he remember me? Could he even see me that night?

"Hey." He said. I looked up. "Hi." I cracked a half smile. He returned it but he couldn't help but show his perfect teeth all across his face. "Its $4.92." I said leaning against the stool behind me. He dug around in his pockets and pulled out a $5.

"Aren't you new in my building?" He asked quietly as he handed me his money. I wasn't sure how to answer that.

"Yeah I think so, weren't you on my fire escape a couple days ago?" I threw the chips and jerky in the paper bag. His cheeks turned a slight pink. He nodded. "Uh yeah, I was just meeting my friends."

We were silent for a little longer as I counted his change

"Which one is yours?" I asked before he left. He turned at the door and smiled. "I live right above you. So try to keep it down down there alright? Can't have you bringing over any boys. And you can keep the change." He winked at me with a small laugh.

He was so handsome. He had such a pretty face and his laugh sounded so child like and sincere.

I smiled and nodded and, like the last time we met, as quickly as he showed up, he left.