0.2

It'd been one day on my own in my new city-Manhattan. I figured everything out yesterday, and today I gotta start.

I'd saved enough money over the past two years of odd jobs and sidewalk-finds to possibly rent a crap apartment on probably the worst part of the Harlem River. I could get some kinda job to keep the lights on and eat. And I could go to school? Maybe?

I'd never really gotten to go to school. I bet I'd be really behind.. maybe I shouldn't.

Okay, focus on a job first.

I made my way to the lower East side and took a look around. Mostly restaurants, or little stores with bars on the windows. I'd never seen so many fire escapes.

I saw a group of children scurry up the steps of a tall building, an apartment building. Some people had window boxes filled with dead flowers, or had their windows covered with sheets.

I walked inside and looked for the apartment office. "Can I help you?" A gruff voice startled me. I jumped and turn around. He was old, short, and bald with grey patches covering the sides. He had dark rimmed glasses and wore an ill fitting suit.

"Yes sir, do you have any vacancies?" I tried to be polite. He walked over to the counter and checked the books. "It appears we do, actually." My heart leapt. "How much?" I asked.

He looked at me questioningly. "To rent?"
I cocked my head. "Yes." He looked shocked. His eyes bulged bigger than they already did behind the thick glasses.

He thought for a moment. "I'll give it to you for $150 a month." Then it was my turn to be shocked. "Deal." I said. He smiled and handed me the key to B7 and directed me to the stairs.

The block of the B apartments was on the third floor, and even with just a suitcase and a purse, it was quite the trip.

I opened the door and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was basically a studio with a bathroom. There were windows along the wall and of course, my very own part of the fire escape.

I set my stuff down and looked at the ratted old mattress. I'll definitely need a sheet to sleep on. But at least it's mine.

After making a couple trips to the thrift store down the block, I got some sheets, a pillow, a couple books, some basic ingredients, and a small plant to keep me company. I know my dad would be proud of me.

I decided to keep the mattress in the corner against the window. I wanted to see the stars at night. I never had a bed next to the window. I always wanted it that way.

After eating a sandwich and settling in, it was evening time. I laid back, not bothering to change into pajamas. I looked at the sky between the two buildings. I saw the moon dance on the reflection of the windows across the ally.

I closed my eyes and laid in silence until I heard the sound of someone climbing down the steps next to my window. I froze and pulled my blanket around me tighter, almost trying to blend into the mattress.

Slowly I saw the silhouette of a boy pass by my window. He had long blonde hair, a thin but athletic frame, and was wearing a hoodie and loose jeans. He had a smile plastered on his face like a child about to play with his friends.

He paused when I sat up, thinking he couldn't see me. I gasped and froze. He furrowed his brow trying to look through the glass. We locked eyes and his smile returned. We shared that moment for a second and then he was gone.

"Been waiting for you all night, Carroll, fuck!" I heard a rich accent yell up at the building. I moved closer to the window wanting to see if the mysterious boy was 'Carroll'.

I saw him hop down the last step and join the group of three boys. "Jesus, I was busy!" Carroll exclaimed, shoving his friend to the side as they walked.

"Ohh just writing away in his precious little diary Ill bet." He said in a teasingly while knocking over some trash cans. "Screw off Mickey." The smallest of the group spat.

They reached the end of the ally and turned down the street fading out of sight.

Who was that beautiful boy? And why is his name Carroll??