1.7

It'd been a couple weeks since Jim and I had gotten together. Things were really nice. He'd stay over at mine most of the time, but it wasn't until the second week that he decided to show me his new apartment.

He'd gotten out of the neighborhood we lived in and moved to more of a middle class complex in a matter of months, just from publishing one book of poems. Yeah, he's really talented.

We sat in the taxi, the windows slightly fogged from the warmth of the car. "So, when did you officially move in?" I asked.

"Well, I just got settled a couple days before the show. I'm really liking it." He smiled.

He told me about learning all about appliances and payments, bills and taxes. He was shocked at how much a fridge costs and light fixtures.

"Your apartments big enough for light fixtures?" I was shocked.

He nodded and chuckled. "Yeah, it's real nice. I'm nervous for you to see it, if I'm being honest."

"I can't wait." I placed my hand on top of his and leaned onto his shoulder. He rested his cheek on my head for the rest of the ride, which wasn't long.

Jim paid the driver as I took in the giant brick building. It was newer and the windows were so clean. The trim was crisp and white, and there were brand new shutters around every window.

"This is it." He said. I shook my head in awe. "It's beautiful." I replied.

"Well, I think you'll like the inside a lot better." He took my hand and guided me in. The lobby was just as beautiful as the outside. There was a nice staircase on the right side of the room and a big glossy oak desk to the left.

"Hello, Mr. Carroll." The door man tipped his hat to Jim. "Hey Marv, good to see you!" Jim greeted.

I remember trying to get into places like this years ago. Getting rejected and thrown out if you managed to make it in.

Jim bypassed the stairs and turned the corner by the desk. There were two sets of elevators and we stepped into one.

The elevator man smiled at us and pressed the button to the 10th floor. The 10th floor? Damn.

We reached the top and stepped out, and there was a couple doors in the hallway, but not many. That must mean these places are big.

We took a left and reached the door at the end of the hall. Jim took out his keys and turned the knob. "Welcome to casa de Carroll." He smiled as the door swung open.

And man, was it grand. The place was so open. The floors were tiled, and the windows were so big, you could see the sky and the cityscape stretched all the way across. The kitchen had a stainless steel island and matching appliances. The counters were granite and cleaned to perfection.

Every pillow on the couch was fluffed and seemed so cozy, along with the blanket thrown across the end. A giant tv was mounted above a grand fire place.

There was a dining area as well, complete with a white table runner and flowers in the center.

I was at a loss for words. "What do you think?" He said lowly.

"It's-wow Jim, I-I can't believe it's all yours." I whispered.

"C'mon, let me give you the grand tour." He said. He took my hand and showed me the kitchen, opening the fridge and oven for no apparent reason besides excitement.

He showed me the giant TV and the remote that controlled the window shades, multiple times might I add.

The playfulness in him never left, that's for sure. He took my hand again and showed me the bathroom and guest room, set with beautiful linens and fluffy carpet.

"And this, is where you'll stay." He said as he opened the door to the master bedroom.

There was a king sized bed facing another bay of windows, the bedding looked so luxurious it was tempting to flop down onto it already. The rug was beautiful with hues of blue and white intertwining together to make an ornate pattern.

There were thin curtains stretched across the windows, and the lighting was soft and warm.

He took my hand and we sat on the bed. And I was right, it was luxurious.

"Does it suit your needs, m'lady?" He asked in a posh accent. I shook my head and played along. "It'll have to do." I replied with a smile. He wrapped his arm as around me and pulled me close. He looked at me deeply and said, "it's all ours. If you want it to be." He whispered. He rested his forehead against mine and looked at my lips.

"What are you saying?" I asked. He smiled softly. "Please. Stay." He said as more of a request. I nodded and pressed my lips against his.

They moved in unison quickly and softly. I pressed my fingers to his cheek and he stroked my hair. "Kate," He said in between kisses. "I love you," He said.

"I love you too-" he cut me off. "Marry me." He stopped. My heart stopped. I pulled back. "W-What? What are you talking about Jim, we've been together for two weeks, you couldn't possibly want to marry me." I smiled in disbelief.

"But it's been more than two weeks, we know everything about each other, I couldn't imagine life without you again, you're everything I've ever wanted, please Kate." He pleaded.

As if I'd say no. But I wanted to be sure.

"Jim, are you sure?" I asked. He nodded immediately. "I've always been sure. We don't have to get married for a while, but I want you to know I intend to marry you, at least someday. And I want to know if you want the same. We can do it as soon or as far away as you want." He said.

"Of course, Jim. It'll always be you." I said. He let out a shaky laugh. "Well in that case," he got down on one knee. "Kate. Just Kate. Would you do me the incredible honor of becoming my wife?" He whispered. "Oh shit, hold on." He said reaching into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a ring box and opened it slowly, holding it out to me.

It was a thin band embedded with small diamonds. It looked very expensive but simple. I nodded with tears in my eyes. "Yes. Forever, it'll always be yes!" I cried. He stood up and picked me up off the bed. We spun around and laughed. He set me down and slid the ring onto my finger.

"I love you, Kate. Forever." He leaned in. And before he could I managed to whisper "I love you Ji-" he kissed me.