1.2

Friday soon came and Neutron was right on time, waiting for me at the same table as our last visit.

"so, did you go?" I asked. He nodded. "I'm sorry, Kate. It wasn't there. Jim said you owed it to him anyway." He said. My mouth ran dry and my hands began to shake.

"You're fucking kidding me." I whispered.

"I'm so sorry." He said reaching for my hand. I pulled it away at the sudden contact that I was definitely not ready for. "I'm gonna kill him." I said. "Don't worry about them, they're gone. I'm gonna get the place cleaned up for you, okay?" I looked at his hands on the table, his knuckles purple and red with bruises. "You didn't touch them did you?" I asked quietly. He looked at his hands, "Oh these? no worries, I've been training with a punching bag and I got a little too intense the other day." He said. I nodded.

"We'll figure it out, okay?" He asked. I stayed quiet. "When do you get out of here?" He asked.

"Monday." I said. "Discharge is at 9am." I finished. "Okay, well, I'll be here to pick you up. If that's okay. He'd asked.

"yeah, I think that'd be okay." I decided. I never knew what was good for me. That was true. I always needed someone to tell me what to do or how to be. I don't know how to think for myself. But maybe if I spent more time with someone more confident, more sure of their path in life, someone good at calling the shots, someone that actually cared for me.

Someone like Neutron. Maybe I should give it a shot. This whole 'being friends' thing again.

"Okay, I'll see you monday. Im sorry to take off so soon, but if you're coming home on Monday, then I wanna see what I can do about your apartment." he said, getting up for his departure.

"Okay. Thank you, Neutron, for everything." I said. He leaned in for a hug but I hesitated. "Cmon, give me a hug." He urged, wrapping his arms around me. It was uncomfortable but I chalked it up to my nerves.

"I'll see you Monday." He said, leaving through the visitation doors.

"That looked like it went well!" Regina said. "Let's take a walk?" she asked, gesturing to the set of doors leading to the courtyard. "Yeah," I said. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders as we walked.

"So, this Neutron guy. Is he one of your friends from Manhattan?" She asked.

"Yeah. Used to be. He wasn't involved in any of the- you know." She nodded. "Did he get to go to your apartment?" She asked. I nodded.

"And?" she pressed, excitement in her eyes.

"It's all gone. Jim really screwed me over this time. And now I can't pay for rehab. So I don't know what to do." I said, my eyes filling with tears. She brought me into an embrace.

"Kate, look at me." Regina said. "We have grants, foundations will pay for your rehab if you complete certain programs once you're out of here. You'll have to work for it, most complete them within 2 years. I've been thinking it would be a good fit for you, I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner. I was waiting for our last counseling session to go over it with you."

Weight was immediately taken off my shoulders as she gave me the one good bit of good news I'd received today. "Oh thank you, Regina!" I said. This time I hugged her and squeezed her tight. I thought she might burst.

"Alright, alright, that's enough, Kate." She patted my shoulder.

"No, I'm not done yet." I teased holding her tighter. "Cmon, Kate, people are looking." She urged and started prying my arms off her. I eventually gave in, and we walked inside.