2.0 Epilogue

'Well, this is it.' I thought to myself. My heart was about to burst at the thought of everyone looking at me. The lights were dimmed in the church, candles illuminating the pews and aisles.

I clutched my bouquet and rosary tighter as I stood alone outside the giant oak doors concealing the congregation. I heard the quiet tune of the pipe organ playing as everyone took their seats and Father Henry made his way to the front of the church.

Suddenly I heard someone else running down the hall, and I turned to see Jim, running towards me. "I'm so sorry I'm late," he stopped next to me, kissing my cheek. "Where wer-" I started but Jim lead me away from the doors. "I was securing a present for you, it ran behind schedule, but I'm here now and I'd love to stay and chat but I gotta go get married. I'll see you up there." He winked at me.

I sighed as he pushed the door opened and started his walk down the aisle.

He looked so handsome. He wore a navy suit, with a pale pink tie. Brown oxfords were brand new and probably stiff on his feet.

I gazed through the small gap in the door. The alter boys were about to open the doors for me when I took a deep breath and looked at the floor.

Before I knew it, the doors slowly swung open and the entire crowd was looking to me.

If it weren't for the poor lighting and the veil covering my face, everyone would've seen the crimson hue my face was turning.

The breath caught in my throat and I started walking.

With every step I took, the more my hands trembled and the rosary rattled against itself. Then I looked up. I got a better look at the groom that was waiting for me.

He looked like not even the most powerful current could sweep him away. His eyes locked to mine, and the most perfect smile etched on his face. The same smile I fell in love with all those years ago at my window.

He met me at the steps to the pulpit and took my hand in his like so many other times before.

So many times I'd taken his hand. But none of those compared to the feeling this touch brought.

"You are beautiful." He whispered. But in this moment I was not the beautiful one. It was always Jim.

Catholic ceremonies are always longer. But every second went by quickly when I was next to Jim, swearing to always love and cherish and guide each other.

When you've gone through as much and Jim and I have, a moment like this that's so long awaited flees so quickly.

Before I knew it, we turned to each other. Jim gently lifted my veil and pressed his lips to mine.

There have been so many epic romances since the beginning of time. Cleopatra and Antony, Romeo and Juliet, Samantha Baker and Jake Ryan, and now Jim Carroll and Kate. Just Kate.

The reception droned on without an end. Jim and I had somehow been separated through trying to speak to everyone and make sure to be polite hosts. My eyes searched for my new husband in the crowd of people as I snuck away to the back of the room to breathe.

I pulled the door to the hallway open and leaned against the wall. I let out a deep sigh. No one ever tells you how tired getting married can make you.

"K-Kate?" A voice whispered. I turned quickly to see another familiar face. He stood about six feet tall and wore fingerless gloves and a wool stocking cap. A dark brown jacket was wrapped around his shoulders complete with dirt stained jeans. I searched the mans face and soon realized the bum in front of me was none other than Mickey.