1.6

After the obscene acts we performed together, we laid there on my mattress in a heap of a mess. It seemed that we laid there in silence for hours, but it was a mere few minutes. He held me in his arms and we gazed out the window, observing the night sky as the cool breeze slithered in from the cracked window.

Sweat lingered on our skin in a thin sheen, and the sound of orgasm surrounded us in the air. He turned his head to me and smiled. He had a glint in his eye, the reflection of the moon.

Out of all the times we'd fucked on this bed, this was the only time the both of us made love. It was different than any other lay we'd had. The fire was there, and so were the butterflies that erupted with every touch.

"Well, that escalated quickly." He chuckled. I laughed and snuggled down deeper in his chest. "It was nice." I said. I could feel him nod. "I'm glad you came to the show tonight." He said.

"I am too. I've missed you, Jim."

"I missed you too, Kate."

There was a pause again, but it was comfortable. "Did you like the show?" He asked. I sat up in bed and faced him. "I loved it. I had no idea that was all in your diary you were always writing in."

He laughed and nodded. "Yeah, I can't either. I didn't ever really think about it becoming something. And I didn't think it'd be the thing that brought us back together."

I smiled. "I wanna be normal with you Jim."

He seemed confused for a moment and then remembered. "Normal house, normal jobs, normal friends," He said.

"Normal. You and me." I said.

He pressed his forehead to mine. "Id like that."

Jim spent the night, and the next day we spent just sitting in my house just talking. I didn't have to do anything at all that day, Jim was all over my house, cooking, checking out my new stuff. He was very impressed with the way my home improved since he'd lived there.

"You got a new toaster! What was wrong with the old one?" He asked. "The old one only toasted the bread on one side, Jim." I laughed. "Oh, shit, I forgot about that."

"Tell me about rehab." He asked, sitting on the couch cross legged and folded his hands under his chin. "Well, its upstate, so it's on some land. But the staff is amazing, and the people in my group were incredible. Everyone there was so dedicated. I met my best friend, Kit, there. You're going to have to meet her soon, I don't know what I would've done without her. If I wouldn't have gone there I wouldn't have ever found my purpose." I said.

"And what might that purpose be?" He asked. "I'm studying psychology, so I can become a drug counselor. And I ultimately want to work at a rehabilitation center like St. Christopher's."

He hung on my every last word, the way he did when we first met. The way I wished he would while we were in active addiction. "That's awesome, Kate. You're going to be an amazing counselor. I mean, you know exactly what an addict is going through. You're going to help so many people." He said in awe.

"I hope so." I whispered, looking down at my hands. I was suddenly nervous at the vulnerability I was allowing myself to feel. My hands started to shake. Suddenly Jim's hands covered mine and I looked up to meet his eyes.

"I know this is hard for you. I'm sorry I put you in this position. And I'm really sorry I wasn't there when I should've been."

I shook my head. "Everything happens for a reason. But I swear to God, Carroll, if you ever put your hands on me again I'll kick your ass."

He laughed and nodded, "As you should." He agreed. He brushed his thumb against my cheek and put a strand of hair behind my ear. His mouth twitched and his eyes began to water up, tears threatening to fall. "I'm really sorry." He whispered. I pressed my forehead to his. "I know." I said.

We sat there for a minute in silence, but of course it was comfortable because it was Jim. My Jim.