0.6

I took the day off on Thursday for Jim's basketball game. I decided that I was gonna try to look really nice for him.

After I made myself some lunch, I checked the time. 2:13. I had to start getting ready if I wanted to get a good seat. Jim said these games were always packed.

I decided on a black button up midi dress with short sleeves. The fabric was dotted with white and I wore it with my sneakers. I pulled a sweater over it and fixed my hair with a small claw clip, letting the rest of my hair fall around my shoulders. I pulled out some pieces in the front to frame my face in order to avoid looking like an egg.

I headed out to the school, St. Vitus. I found it odd that was the school Jim went to, considering how ornery he was. How did he survive in there? Aren't nuns mean or something?

I arrived at the gym and could already hear the quiet roar of all the fans inside. I pushed through the doors and saw the bleachers and tried to find a spot on the home side.

The game hadn't started yet but I looked at the clock and saw the countdown was at 57 seconds, then the team would come out and warm up.

I sat a little towards the front and waited anxiously. The gym had a sticky humid feeling, so I took off my sweater. I looked at my lap and fiddled with my fingers, and then I heard the locker room doors burst open. I saw all the players in their plain uniforms and tube socks.

I saw Jim's friends come out, and then finally Jim. He looked so excited, a sparkle in his eye. They worked shooting drills and passes, he hadn't noticed me yet. When he got a second to breathe and wait his turn he scanned the crowd and his eyes fell on me.

And of course, his goofy smile spread on his face and appeared on mine also. He waved eagerly in my direction, and I gave a modest wave back.

"Jimmy, focus." His friend snapped his fingers from across the court to gain his attention. He quickly passed the ball to Jim. Once he had the ball, he didn't hesitate; he shot for a three pointer and swished the ball through the hoop.

His hand still lingering in the air, he shot me a cocky expression and walked to the next play. I shook my head a little and tried to get rid of the smile on my face.

One of Jim's friends sat on the bleachers and was clad in all black, I'd seen him at the store a couple times.

He looked up at me. "Hey, don't you work at the corner store?" He asked. It took me a second to realize who he was talking to and then I replied. "Yeah, that's me." He nodded.

"I'm Pedro, and what's your name?" He held out his hand and climbed up to the seat next to me.

I took his hand in mine and shook it. "Kate." He said my name back to me, probably trying to make sure he remembered it.

"So, Kate, what brings you to St, Vitus?" He asked, focused on the game. "Jim actually invited me, I'm his- uh, neighbor." I hoped that was the right answer.

"Jim said he'd been hanging out with a new friend. I just didn't know you were a girl." he said. "Yeah, we've been hanging out lately, it's nice to have a friend in a new place." I said as he nodded.

Jim said their team was good, but I guess I didn't realize how good they actually were. Their plays were flawless, they glided across the floor so cooly it was like they were floating.

Basket after basket they shot and scored, and of course if they were up enough, they felt free to foul on the other team. New York boys were rough, what can I say?

"Hey, Cmon I wanna show you something." Pedro hopped off the bleachers and waited for me to follow. I glanced at the court and saw Jim in the huddle. "Where are we going?" I asked before moving. Pedro lowered his voice and nodded towards the other locker rooms. "We're gonna go shopping." He jingled some keys from his pockets.