Tellings of the Past

The alarms blared. Tony quickly tapped the bangle he always wore on his wrist that deployed his suit. Cap ran over to the armory to get his suit on. Nat wore her suit under her outfit and Thor grabbed Mjolnir and they all went to the bottom of the tower.

When they got there they saw that Loki, Clint, and Bruce had already arrived. There was a huge gaping hole in the floor and fire all around. In the middle stood a person-- no.

A thing was standing there. It had a hood on and it reached out its six-fingered hand. Loki screamed and grasped his head as he fell to the ground. Clint and Thor rushed over to him. As they did this Cap knocked his hand away with his shield and Tony knocked him to the ground with a shot fired from his hand. Nat placed a knife underneath its throat.

Loki had stopped grasping at his head and sat there shaking and hyperventilating while Clint rubbed soothing circles on his back. Thor got up and started towards the creature.

"Who are you?!" Thor said as he stood above the creature's head.

"No matter to you..." it said in a deep voice that sent shudders down Tony's spine.

"Why are you here?" Thor continued.

"To give your little friend over there a message." He looked over and Loki froze. "He is not happy with you...he will come to finish what he started. And when he does..." the creature smiled, "You will beg for something sweet as pain!" He looked back at Thor. "And so will your precious Jane..."He looked at Tony,"...and Pepper..." and he finally settled on Clint,"... and Laura, Cooper, Lila, and Nathaniel."

Clint shot an arrow at the creature's head and it gave one final contented breath. There was a moment of silence. Then Bucky headed over to Loki and started to try and help him calm down. Coulson and Fury came running downstairs, Jane and Pepper following close behind. Immediately as Thor and Tony saw them they went over and embraced their significant other.

"What the hell is going on down here!?!" Fury said as he saw the dead alien body.

"This creature came down to...." Steve paused.

"To what?" Fury pressed.

"T-to threaten me." Loki shakily said.

Everyone turned to him.

Coulson looked at the alien and then looked at Loki. "That's the Other....isn't it?"

Loki nodded.

Fury looked at Coulson. "How do you know what this shit is about?"

Coulson continued to look at Loki. "I think that is for Loki to divulge if he so wants to, sir. Not me."

Everyone looked expectantly at Loki. He sighed. "I t-think it's time you all kn-knew what happened in New York."

-------------------------------------------------------
Loki sat on the couch wrapped in a blanket with Bucky placing a comforting hand on his knee. He was still shaking a bit as the rest of the avengers gathered in the living room to hear what Loki had to say. Nick and Coulson stood by the fireplace and the rest sat on the huge couch.

Loki took a deep breath before starting. "When I fell off of the rainbow bridge in Asgard, I thought I was going to die... I wanted to die. But...as you can see... I didn't. Instead, I fell into a much worse place. There I was captured by the Chitauri and....and...." Loki's voice hesitated.

"It's alright... take all the time you need." Steve comforted.

Loki took some breaths before continuing. " And they brought me to their leader, I would rather not speak his name, but the creature you saw today was his servant. " He paused as his voice started to crack a little. "They... they whipped me ...and burned me ....and beat me ...and any other torture you can imagine, it was done to me... along with ones you probably couldn't imagine." His breaths were quick and ragged. Pepper, Jane, Thor, and Steve looked horrified. Clint put a hand on Loki's shoulder as Loki already told him this long ago. Tony and Nat looked at him with pity. "O-once my mind w-was weak enough, th-they invaded it and t-took over. I had no control over m-my actions during New York. I only came back w-when the Hulk smashed me." He finished and put his head in his hands. Tears threatened to stream down his face.

There was silence and then Bucky spoke up. "My mind was taken over as well, I know what it feels like... I'm still not really over it. If you ever need to talk about it, you can come to me if you want."

Loki gave him a quick, sad smile, then Fury spoke up as well. "If you don't mind me asking... why were you hanging off of a bridge in the first place?"

Bruce gave him a look. "He just got over telling us about one of the most difficult times in his life...stop pushing him. He can tell us if he wants to." He paused. "In any case, I should probably take him down to the medical wing to make sure that Other guy didn't hurt him." Loki nodded at this and followed him into the elevator. The friends stared after them.

Thor remembered the fight on the Bifrost.
*Flashback*

"Brother this is madness!"

"Is it madness?... Is it?... IS IT?!" Loki's voice sounded with desperation.

*End Flashback*

Thor whispered to himself, "What have I done to you brother..."