Yeosang ✦ Ghost

Published: July 1, 2020
Rewritten: April 5, 2023

Word count: 4,627

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

You had never been what one would call "normal"

You had never been what one would call "normal". No, you're not one of those people who say that because they think it makes them seem "cool" or "quirky"you really are different. You can see ghosts, spirits, whatever you wanna call them. It's a "gift" you had ever since you were little, though it never really felt like one. You used to be open about it when you were young and didn't know any better. You were naive and thought you were seeing actual people, so when your classmates and so-called "friends" said they couldn't see who you were talking to, it upset you. You wondered why they couldn't see what you were seeing. You remembered telling your parents about it and you'll never forget the way they reacted. Your dad dropped his head into his hands while your mom had a somber look on her face, one that made you feel like she took pity on you.
Apparently, your dad had the same gift. He was hoping it wouldn't be passed down to you; your mom had hoped the same. On that day you were told not to interact with any spirits and pretend you didn't see them.
As a child, that was hard to hear. You thought it was mean and got very defensive.
"They're lonely." You remembered saying.
Your dad responded by telling you that in order to live a normal life and avoid being made fun of, you had to ignore any spirits, so that's what you did—for a little while anyway.

Fast forward to the present and here you are, a college student trying her best to make it to the end of the semester.
You sat in class with your textbook and notebook open, tapping your pencil against the paper as you waited for class to begin. You noticed a presence in your peripherals, turning your attention away from your notebook. Glancing up, your eyes met a man with striking features that left you breathless, his appearance almost princely. His large eyes were gentle and inviting, his fluffy, blonde hair framed his sculpture-like features, the lengthy strands curling slightly around his face. You'd never seen anyone like him, well, ever.

"Mind if I sit?" He asked, his voice soft and gentle.
"Not at all."
He took a seat and turned towards you with a warm and friendly smile on his face.
"I'm Yeosang, by the way."
"I'm Y/n."
"So, how long have you been going here?" He asked, striking up a conversation.
"A year and a half."
"I've been here for a year. I like it a lot. The teachers are really nice." He commented leaning back in his chair.
About that time another classmate walked up to you, his presence catching your attention.
"Excuse me. Do you mind if I sit here?" He asked, pointing to the chair Yeosang currently occupied.
Your brows tugged together as you glanced over at the blonde boy beside you, momentarily confused before realization hit you.

One thing about this "gift" is that you can't differentiate spirits from actual people because they do look like actual people. The only dead giveaway—no pun intended, is that usually they're wandering around cluelessly. Lost.