Chapter 36

"I can't believe I agreed to this." I say out loud to no one, though I know no one can hear me. I shove a wrinkled sweatshirt into my weekend bag, struggling to zip it all the way shut. I finally do and heave a loud sigh.

A whole weekend of being around Nick and his new, what, girlfriend I guess?

Wait.

I'm spending a whole weekend with Joe and that's what I should be focusing on.

Joe.

My boyfriend.

Whom I love.

Not Nick.

His brother.

Whom I do not love.

So what if he has a beautiful blonde girlfriend even though he told me he would always love me.

No.

It's selfish of me to assume he would never be with someone else when I picked Joe. He deserves to be happy.

"Did I hear you talking to yourself in here?"

I jump, turning around so fast I almost fall over. I'm not using a crutch, just trying to balance on my good leg. Thankfully, I catch myself on the edge of the bed.

"Nick. What are you doing here?" I ask, eyes wide.
I was just saying all of that in my head, right?

"Kevin wanted us all to meet here before we go." He says, crossing his arms in front of his chest, making his sleeves tighten around his biceps. "You seem flustered." he adds.

"Oh it's just all this balancing on one foot thing, gets me pretty tired." I lie.

"Well, I just came up here to tell you we are waiting on you."

"Okay, I'll be right there." I tell him.

I take a deep breath and exhale slowly, running a hand through my hair. I can do this. It's just a weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

I go into the living room and they are all standing by the door waiting for me. I guess I lost track of time while I was packing.

"Ready?" Joe asks, walking over and wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Yes." I tell him.

"You're riding with us." Nick says over his shoulder.

Kelly hooks her arm to his and I try not to roll my eyes at their contact. Why do I feel the need to roll my eyes?

"Awesome." I say, and I wish it came out a little less sarcastic, but it didn't. Joe gives me a look but I ignore him.

Joe and I hop into the back seat and we wait for Kevin and Danielle to pull out so we can follow behind their car.

I see Kelly reach over and put her hand on Nick's leg. He looks at her with a smile and I force myself not to gag.

Where did she even come from? How are they this close already? Joe doesn't even always have a hand on me like she does with Nick.

Kelly talks almost the whole ride and I have to stop myself from telling her to shut up. I mean god, who talks that much? She's pretty and all, but her mouth rubs.

Joe looks at me occasionally and smiles and I return it, but he doesn't even try to hold my hand which I find sort of odd.

When we arrive, I practically jump out of the car. Well; as fast as my one leg can get me without face planting.

"How was the ride?" Danielle asks as she approaches our car.

"Great." Kelly says.

"Yeah, fine." Nick agrees, but even he seems annoyed.