Chapter 15

The storm is over, and the road is clear. Joe drives us back to my place, and my stomach drops at the sight of Nicks car in my driveway.

Joe puts the car in park but doesn't shut it off. He turns to me with a small smile and my pulse quickens. There's a difference in the air between us, a good one.

"I have to go talk to Jenny. Can I see you tonight?"

"Of course." I say.

"See you later then." He says and smile before getting out and walking to my door, my smile faltering when I realize what I'm about to walk into.

I go inside and see Nick is seated on the couch. I ignore him and walk into the kitchen. A few moments go by and he walks in cautiously, his face full of concern.

"What's wrong?"

"I know that Joe told you about his feelings for me."

"Oh." He says, looking at the floor, "he told you that?"

"How long have you known?"

"I dunno, a few weeks."

"And you've just watched me suffer, with no intentions of telling me?" I ask.

"It wasn't my place to tell. It was his."

"Maybe you're right. But instead of just not telling me, you've made a point to try and help me get over him. And I could tell you didn't want me alone with him for some reason."

"Because you should get over him. He doesn't deserve you."

"That's not your decision to make. You took advantage of my feelings." I say.

"I didn't mean to. You of all people know how it feels to want someone you can't have." He says, his eyes turning sad. He's right, I do.

"I don't want to hurt you Nick, but I can't force myself to feel a certain way for you."

"I know." He says.

"I'm sorry." I say. I walked in mad at him, but I honestly just feel bad. I don't want to hurt him, because I do care about him.

"I know."

"Whatever happens, i don't want to come between you and Joe. You are brothers. If I should just stay away from both of you, I will."

"No." Nick says, "I won't come between you two, I promise. Joe and I will be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Thank you, Nick."

"I should go, alright." He says.

"See you soon?" I ask and he nods before leaving the room. I hear the front door shut and let out a shaky breath. I can't help but think Nick isn't as fine as he says he is. I didn't want to hurt him. But he also shouldn't have kept that from me.