Chapter 11

I get myself together and go into the kitchen for a glass of water. Joe walks in, and I don't look at him. I take another sip and set my glass now. 

"Trinity I'm sorry. The pain meds are screwing with my head and are making me loopy." He says, leaning against the table.

"It's fine Joe, we really don't ever have to talk about it."

"I think we do..."

"I get it Joe. Nothing in this world would make you get intimate with me besides pain medicine. I know you aren't interested. Trust me."

He's surprised by my hostility but I can't help it. Everything should be out in the open now. If he doesn't know by now that I like him then he's just plain stupid.

"That's not what I meant." He says, wiping sweat off of his forehead.

"I'm a mistake, I get it." I say, shifting from one foot to the other.

"What I meant was a mistake is how carried away we got because I'm with Jenny. You know I'm not the type to cheat Trin."

He's right. He's never been that type of guy before.

"You aren't a mistake." He says lowly, "I've never crossed that line with you before because I don't want to ruin our friendship." Great, the friendship speech. Like I haven't heard this before.

Nick walks in then and I'm thankful. I do not want to talk about this anymore. If I could just erase this day from my memory completely I would.

"Everything okay?" Nick asks, the tension between Joe and I visible.

"I was just leaving." I say.

"Trinity." Joe says, staring me down from across the room.

"See you guys later." I say, backing out of the room.

"We will talk about this." Joe calls after me as I leave the apartment, running over to my car.

I sit down and grab on to the steering wheel, gripping it as hard as I can. I scream out in anger, hoping no one heard me.

The next day I arrive at my parents house. I'm wearing a yellow sundress and my hair is straightened, making it look even longer. I don't usually put that much effort into my appearance but I was feel adventurous this morning.

I walk into the house and head for the kitchen. My eyes widen at the sight of Nick seated at the bar with my mom.

"Hey there." Nick says, looking me up and down, making it obvious that he's checking me out.

"Didn't expect you to be here." I mumble, grabbing a grape from the fruit bowl on the island and eating it.

"Nick was next door and I invited him over for some pie." My mom says with a wide smile.

I smile back, "of course you did."

"I'm going out back to the garden." She says, getting out of her seat and patting Nick on the shoulder before leaving the room.

I grab another grape nonchalantly and then look at Nick who's just staring at me with a snarky expression.

"So are you gonna tell me what happened with Joe last night?"

I shrug, "nothing happened."

"Right well that's a lie. But if you two want to play that game, fine."

"Shouldn't you be babysitting him or something?" I ask.

"Jenny's back so that's her job."

"Oh." I say. Just hearing her voice makes me feel nauseated.