Chapter 38

Joe.

I've loved him for so long and I couldn't have him.

And then after everything we went through, he really hurt me.

It made something between us change.

He told me I look at him differently then before.

And he's right.

I love him, but I don't feel that fire for him anymore, no matter how hard I try.

And no matter how hard to try to ignore my feelings for Nick, its impossible.

I didn't plan on this to happen. I didn't want to fall in love with someone else. But Nick was there for me when I needed it the most, and that matters to me. I can't just forget all the special moments that happened between the two of us.

But Nick is with Kelly now. What if he's already moved on?

But it doesn't matter. Because even if Nick has moved on, I can't be with Joe while feeling like this. It isn't fair to him.

But I won't tell him here. I don't need to make this weekend anymore awkward. As soon as we get home, I'll tell him the truth.

I grab a beer when I go back to the fire and take a long sip. Joe gives me an odd look and I shrug. I really need something to take the edge off.

"Slow down sister." Danielle says as I chug half of it.

I laugh, "sorry, just thirsty."

"You don't usually drink like that." Nick says, eyeing me from across the fire.

I shrug but I don't respond or look at him.

Joe doesn't wrap his arm around me, instead he starts gathering sticks for us to make s'mores. He hands us each one, and then we pass along the marshmallows.

"I can't wait for our trip next week babe." Kelly says to Nick, catching my attention.

"Right." Nick says.

"Ooh going on a trip?" Kevin asks.

"He's taking me to the city for the weekend. So sweet." she says, nudging him.

I take another sip of my drink, trying not to roll my eyes.

"Aw, you two are just perfect aren't you." Kevin says, teasing Nick.

"We do get along so great." Kelly says and I giggle, loud and unexpectedly. Everyone looks at me and my face turns red.

"Is there a problem?" Kelly asks.

"Uh, no..." I say.

"What's so funny then?" She asks.

I look at Nick and he's just staring at me.

"I just heard you two fighting last night, that's all." I say, shrugging.

"That was nothing." Nick says.

"Yeah, what's it matter to you anyway?" Kelly asks, her tone changing. What's gotten into her?

"Calm down, Kelly." Nick says, glaring at her.

"You two just clearly don't get along as good as you're always saying." I say with a shrug.

"And again, what's it matter to you." She says, crossing her arms in front of her.

"Okay ladies. We're all tired and have been drinking..." Danielle says.

"It's none of your business." Kelly says, talking to me and ignoring Danielle.

"Nicks my friend, so it is my business." I say.

"Should we go for a walk?" Joe asks me, clearly irritated. I look at him and his face is serious.

"Okay." I say.

I follow him outside to the front of the house. He sits on the steps and I stay standing.

"What's going on with you Trinity?" He asks.

"Joe..." I say.

"Please. I know you. You have been acting weird ever since Nick introduced you to Kelly. You can tell me the truth."

The look in his eyes confirms what I think I already knew. He knows how I'm feeling about Nick and he knows how I'm feeling about us, because he feels it too.

I sigh and sit down beside him, "I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"I know." He says.

"Things aren't the same between us." I say.

"No, they aren't." He admits, "it's my fault."

I shake my head, "No Joe, it's both our faults."

"I can't blame you for falling for Nick. He's treated you way better than I ever have."

"Joe." I say lowly.

He looks at me with sad eyes, "it's true. I didn't put you first when I should have, and it's not your fault you fell for someone else in the process. After everything we went through, it changed us. Being together now feels..."

"Different." I say, finishing his sentence.

"Yes." He says.

I feel relieved, because he feels the same way I do about the weird feeling between us.

There was a time we could have been together and happy and in love, but that chance was gone when he got engaged. Everything that happened after that, was the downfall of us, no matter how much we tried.

I look at him and he gives me a small smile, "no matter what happens, you'll always be my best friend." Joe says.

I smile and nod, "and you'll always be mine."